96 SL780 is in limp without any warning on MFD

Hello, I posted a similiar question a few weeks ago but thought I had this problem solved. I went back to the lake over the fourth and it ran fine for awhile and then it started to max out at 4400 rpm, run fine for awhile, over and over. Finally it would only hit 4400 rpm period. I got home tonight and checked for water in the CDI box - bone dry. I then decided to unhook the gray wire and got full rpm back. When I hook it back up, 4400 rpm is max. My MFD works fine - all digits are good, the red light does light at start-up for test, and the gas level and oil level indicators seem to be tracking accurately with actual levels. There are no oil, temp, or fuel warning on it and I know that fuel and oil will come up when they are low. Any help or suggestions on what to check? Do the floats have a seperate sender for the level display and the actual computer like some cars do? Thank you all, the last time I asked a question I was amazed at how fast I got replys.

+1
    You probably have a bad CDI, see it all the time.

+1
    I would also pull the limiting wires off the board (one from the float at the fuel sender, the other from the oil sender and the last one is from the temp sensor on the exhaust pipe) one at a time to verify none are bad.
    If it still limits, replace the CDI.

Any idea on where to get a new one?

Thanks for the help, everybody on here is great! It is getting dark here now, so I'll try pulling the other wires tomorrow night after work. If I pull one and the limiter goes off, I assume I just need to replace the sender? Thanks again.

+1
    It may be the sender but be sure to check the temp wire for any shorts to ground. I've seen them get pinched at the exhaust pipe mounting bracket etc.

problem fixed

I know it has been awhile, but I wanted to post a reply for what fixed this problem because I know there could be people out there who are searching for answers for a similiar problem as I was last year. The LR-54 module was bad in the electrical box and once I replaced it all was good. I received a lot of quality information from everyone here and would like to thank everyone again!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I would also pull the limiting wires off the board (one from the float at the fuel sender, the other from the oil sender and the last one is from the temp sensor on the exhaust pipe) one at a time to verify none are bad.
    If it still limits, replace the CDI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Pearl View Post
    I know it has been awhile, but I wanted to post a reply for what fixed this problem because I know there could be people out there who are searching for answers for a similar problem as I was last year.

The LR-54 module was bad in the electrical box and once I replaced it all was good. I received a lot of quality information from everyone here and would like to thank everyone again!
    Thank you for getting back to us. So many folks never provide an update once their problem has been fixed.

When you disconnected the RPM Limiter wire(s), did the machine run OK even with the bad LR-54 module?

Yes, it ran fine when I disconnected the limiting wire. After having checked the sensors' values and finding them to be in spec, I replaced the LR-54 module. The fact that the problem was intermittent without any MFD warnings initially threw me, though.

Thread Information