Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2004 RXP...Dissapointed

I bought a left over 2004 RXP this past October at my local dealership. I have dealt with them before and have treated me very well. When I bought it I had them winterize the ski because I wasn't going to ride it. In the spring I had them de-winterize it and took it to the lake. I was very dissapointed, after reading on here that stock RXP's were hitting 69-70 on the dreamo with RPM's in the 8000+ range mine only hit 64-65 with RPM's in the 7400-7550 range. I started looking into this and couldn't figure anything out. The oil levels were perfect and everything else looked to be in perfect condition. So, I just decided to drive the ski until the 10 hour service and have the dealer take a look at it. I brought the ski in for the service and told them about my problem, they told me that they would look into the problem and let me know what they find. When I went back to pick the ski up, the tech told me that he called BRP tech support and told them what was going on with my ski. Apparently, BRP told him that a stock RXP should not be seeing 8000+ RPMS right out of the box, and that my ski was running normally. I was upset, but decided to just bring the ski home and start modding it.

So the day I brought the ski home I started adding the parts I have accumulated over the winter. I added the Rotax power pipe, Riva BOV, and Denso plugs. I was excited to get to the lake, but was disappointed once I was there. I saw little to no change in the ski, maybe 50 RPM's. I decided to drive the ski for another 10 hours and then start to add my Stage 1 parts. So around hour 20, I added the Riva open air intake, and Riva intake grate. I decided to wait on the wedge and the prop. After taking the ski to the lake and riding it I again saw minimal gains. Around 100-150 RPM's.

So as the ski sits I have 25 hours on it and it runs anywhere from 7600-7800 RPM's and around 66-67 MPH on the dreamo. Everytime I take the ski out I check everything over hoping to find something, but everything looks good. After spending quite a chunk of money on the ski and the mods I must say that I am pretty disappointed with the results and need some advice of what I should do next.

Thanks in advance,
    Teddy

For what its worth, my weight is 215. My friend (195 pds) and my sister (120 pounds) both rode the ski and saw the same numbers that I was seeing on the dig gauges.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    teddy... where in NY are you?

what's your VIN # ? maybe your knock sensor... i'm thinking that's the problem.

I am in Northern New York, north of Syracuse, up by Watertown. I have never ran anything less than 93 octane in the ski. I made the dealer empty the old gas out of the gas tank before I bought the ski last October. I put fresh 93 in it this spring and have only ran that.

My vin is ZZN47649D404

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    First thing you need is a GPS so you can really see what it is doing and have a starting point of reference, Then possiably get a good prop-solas 14/19 R with the right tweak from Jerry. I went from 7900 to 8150 with a good prop.

Are you feeling any cavitation when you punch it (like a car spinning wheels) or does it take off like it is stuck to the water.

Thats all my limited expericence can offer

+1
    well since you have an 04 machine, i dont know how long it sat in the crate, and if they forgot about the knock sensor update service bulletin on your machine when they prepped it as a leftover... but ur ski wasn't that much of an early production model... came out of factory in april according to your Vin. dont know what the cutoff was as to when they started picking up on the knock sensors and installing it at the factory.

it's a lead anyways, something worth looking into.

just make sure u have the correct spark plugs, the prop and wear ring are ok, oil level is good.... if most of that checks out good, it's got to be some kind of electrical, ECU, configuration problem or knock sensor or sometin.

lemme see what i can find on ur VIN # in the computer....

Well, I have the prop, but have not put it on yet, trying to get everything else sorted out. The ski runs fine all around, the air intake greatly improved the bottom end grunt of the machine, no clutch slippage or anything, it has done this from 0 hours on up.

+1
    BINGO! this MIGHT solve the problem. You need to take the ski to a dealership and tell them you need a waranteed service update performed on your ski for the knock sensor

EDITTED:
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 07-13-2006 at 09:20 AM.

just make sure u have the correct spark plugs, the prop and wear ring are ok, oil level is good.... if most of that checks out good, it's got to be some kind of electrical, ECU, configuration problem or knock sensor or sometin.
    Everything has been checked and re-checked. Like I said, this has run like this since it was new with stock NGK plugs and now Denso plugs.

Does this mean that the update has not been done to my machine??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information