Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genesis starting problems

My 2004 Genesis with fuel injection had its first problem recently. It blew the pressure regulator off inside the fuel tank giving me zero pressure. With the help of those on this board I was able to repair this. However I now have a new problem. It is difficult to start. It spins over with no hesitation. The battery is new. It just won't catch. Up until my pressure regulator problem it would start almost instantaniously. Well, to help it, I give just a quick shot of starting fluid. Starts right up then. Runs absolutely perfect once it is running. 6800 RPM as soon as you punch it. Idles fine. Runs up and down the river like brand new. But hot or cold it just won't start without a shot of starting fluid.

Battery voltage good and strong. Fuel pressure between 20 and 25 psi. Getting spark. Compression numbers from a month ago were good.

I suspect the Throttle Position Sensor (208 hours and never been replaced). I am also considering the fuel injectors needing cleaning. Anyone got a diagnostic path they can recommend to corner this issue?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug the TPS. Does it start?
    If yes, you need new TPS.

You should have a TPS spare anyway, so buy two, if that is what has failed.

BTW, are the spark plugs fresh?
    NGK PZFR6H?

K447
    Plugs have about 20 hours on them. Due to all the flooding in IL and WI thats all I been able to get on the river this year.

I unplugged the TPS and it started. However, when I plugged it back in it started that time too. Then I waited awhile and tried again with the TPS plugged in. It didn't start. I then unplugged the TPS and this time it did not start. So I haven't been able to get a consistant response.

I believe I read in one of your previous posts that this part has a history of only lasting 100 hours. Guess I've been blessed.

+1
    What's the fuel pressure while cranking? It needs to be between 20-30 pounds immediately.

Are you sure there is no water in the fuel system?
    Are you sure you didn't kink and of the fuel lines while working on or in the fuel pump area?
    Can you verify the pump is working when you actually hit the start button? Same as the firrst question I guess...

ph2ocraft
    Hmm,.. I am not sure about pressure while cranking. And I will double check on your other questions,... tomorrow. It's beddy-bye time in IL. Thanks for your thoughts!

+1
    Keep us posted, good night!!

Well, I don't know if this is related but I just came back from the river after doing a waterfront emergency repair. The schrader valve where you check the fuel pressure lost the brass interior. The plastic tee was the only thing left. I can't believe the ski didn't blow up on my son.

Do you think this might have something to do with my issues? I cut out the valve and replaced with tubing. It started by itself, no starting fluid. Seem to run fine. What do you guys think?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prairie water View Post
    ...The schrader valve where you check the fuel pressure lost the brass interior. The plastic tee was the only thing left. I can't believe the ski didn't blow up on my son.

Do you think this might have something to do with my issues? I cut out the valve and replaced with tubing. It started by itself, no starting fluid. Seem to run fine. What do you guys think?
    If it was spewing gasoline, then it would not have the proper fuel pressure.

Where did the insides of the schrader valve go? Not down the line into the injectors, I hope!

K447
    My son was trying to start it when the schrader valve blew. It was wide open to the atmosphere so I am reasonably sure the engine never would have had enough pressure to run with it gone.

The valve is located on the return line so I am hoping it blew out and is not in the fuel regulator / restictor. Do you think I should pull it apart and check for misc parts where they don't belong?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prairie water View Post
    ...My son was trying to start it when the schrader valve blew...

The valve is located on the return line so I am hoping it blew out and is not in the fuel regulator / restictor.
    Do you think I should pull it apart and check for misc parts where they don't belong?
    I am wondering WHY the schrader valve blew out?

Could the valve internals have come unscrewed over time, and was just ready to let go?
    Was the plastic cap in place before it let go?

Or was there a sudden rise in fuel line pressure, way above normal?

I would plumb in a new tee (or even the old one temporarily), and check that the fuel pressure is in the normal range, not excessively high.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information