Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1

Issues constantly sucking up trash in pump

I am so pissed with the constant problems with sucking up trash in my pump on my 2001 Utopia 185. Hopefully someone has some good advice with this??? I have had ski's for 20 years & have never had so many issues with sucking stuff up. In just the past few trips out on the boat... I have sucked up a plastic quart of oil causing a 6hr. idle ride back to the ramp, a stick around 2" in diameter & most recently something I can still not figure out how the hell it got in there... a 3 gallon plastic shrub container! Had to pull the grate and exit nozzle assembly to remove it all... another 3hr. idle trip back to the ramp & 1hr. removing the shrub bucket! Everytime I've ever sucked something up is after anchoring or docking????? Ran fine when shut off... then when restarted... suprise!!! It has the stock spring loaded intake grate... that in my mind is the problem? Don't feel that the spring is keeping it closed when something gets near the grate... how the hell could a 3 gallon plastic shrub bucket get sucked in??? Any advice or experience with this would greatly be appreciated! Planning to weld the grate shut next... but then I'll never get anything out of it in the water... but think it may keep crap out???????????
    Last edited by BigDaddyRXP; 07-07-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Man you need to stop driving around in the local dump!!!

Get rid of the HydroSurge grate...

Replace it with one of Mercury's fixed grates, either the 6 tine aluminum or the 11 tine stainless steel. I agree it's hard to imagine how a big plastic tub got in there, but there is no question a moving grate lets in more crap than a fixed grate.

The HydroSurge is a known bad design that has destroyed countless impellers, stators, and wear rings when (not if) one of the tines breaks off and is sucked through the jetdrive. Each such incident is at least $2000 in repairs. A replacement fixed grate is darned cheap one-time insurance against that. Add in the increased exposure to lake garbage and the HydroSurge is your boat's worst enemy.

Get rid of it. Immediately.

+1
    WAPWC

Your the man... Thanks for the great advice!!! I assumed the spring loaded grate was the issue & not a good design, It does make for a great garbage collector though! Straingly enough... I run the boat in the Tampa bay gulf, pretty clean water for the most part you'd think?

+1
    WAPWC

Any advice as to where I can find these grates?

Any Mercury dealer, in person or online. Here's one example:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ING+COMPONENTS

Mercury part number 854810T1 is the 11 tine stainless steel grate ($182.43). Part number 852962T is the 6 tine aluminum grate ($144.88 ). I prefer the stainless for several reasons, and I actually created my own custom 5 tine grate from it by cutting out every other tine as shown below. Hope this helps!

+1
    WAPWC

Thanks for the info! I ordered one yesterday from a local mercury dealer... decided to go with the six tine aluminum with thoughts that it's less restrictive than what they told me was a 12 tine stainless grate.

I prefer the stainless grate, even when unmodified, because 1) stainless is stronger than aluminum, and 2) the stainless tines are narrower and have a better, more water-friendly cross section than do the aluminum tines (the aluminum tines have to be wider to be strong enough). However, it is true that the stock aluminum grate has less occluded area than the stock SS grate. With the stock grates, it's a tradeoff between occlusion and turbulence caused by wider grates. I opted for stainless and then after a couple of years modified my SS grate to the five tine configuration, which yields the least occlusion of any grate setup while retaining the same intertine spacing (protection from foreign objects) of the stock aluminum grate. Best of all worlds.

Have fun, and relax knowing your jetdrive is much safer without that HydroSurge grate.

did you notice a loss in performance? Top speed>

Thread Information