+1

Need some GTX SC Help

I had to take a couple of parts off my GTX SC to get my RXP running. In haste, I went into the GTX pretty quickly to get the parts. Yesterday I thought I reassmbled everything well, but when I got out to the water the ski wasn't running 100%.

It kind of feels like an exhuast leak. Once I hit max RPM, the engine seems to start choking a bit and sporatically dropping RPM. Other times it runs WOT fine. Yesterday on a long WOT throttle run, the RPMs choked way down and the Check Engine light came on. I checked for error codes and there were none. I pulled the key and replaced it and the Check Engine went away. Then I popped the back seat and tray off and ran WOT back to shore without a hiccup.

One thing is I am not sure how old the gas is in this ski, but would old gas make it perform that way? Another thing is there was not a single drop of water in the hull. I assumed with an exhaust leak there would be a little water in there, but there was none.

So where should I start looking for a problem like this? One thing that is really different from my RXP is that tubing that comes out of the first waterbox and runs up along side of the hull. Is there anything special that piece needs to run correctly? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Check engine could have been a bad oil temp sensor..I think that I remember having that same problem...Check engine light would come on...Beep then go away with no other problems or codes..I think...But don't hold me to it but I think it was a sensor in the back oil pump area...Another thing it could be was a stuck topps valve...Or as you have said..Old gas is a deffinate..Before I modified my gtx I tryed to run 87 octaine to see what would happed..I went from 60-61 mph down to 56 mph...And lost huge holeshot...But as I have siad I think there was a rash of bad sensors going around if I can remember...
    Hope that helps Jarrett

.....Mike

+1
    Thanks Mike, I will look into some of that.

Also, does anyone know what the fix for the 03 pump is? Is it just a swap for an 04? Will SD warranty that? All these troubles at once have me thinking about a trade in

+1
    Jarrett - figure it out yet? What parts did you mess with on your GTX? That could help in trouble shooting a loose re-install.

+1
    Jarrett; I found out a long time ago how bad (old) can affect how a ski runs. Without stabilizer added, you would be surprised how fast it can go bad. I'd pump it out and use it in the family auto.

The 03 plastic pump was a money saving move on Bombardier's part. They refuse to admit it has shortcomings because they still use it in the non SC 4-tecs in 2005. I doubt that they will replace it under warranty with a metal pump, but a little "screaming" in the right places might do some good.

Richard

+1
    I hope its just bad gas. I would assume that would be more consistant with the poor performance. Or would it?

RX4, I haven't had time to stick my head back in there yet. The parts I touched were that weird hose that comes out of the waterbox, the gooseneck and clamp that go to the water box, one air intake manifold bolt and one SC bolt. I can't remember messing with anything else.

Thread Information