SLT 780 hesitates on take off

Ok, so I have bene doing alot of reading on here and i know what everyone is going to say..."clean your carbs" but looked into the maual and hard to see the pics and not too sure what I am doing, anyone out there have better pics of how to expose the carbs/clean them??? I have never done it before, worked on carbs on my sleds but these look alot different from the pics. Also how often should you remove and clean the air filter?

Also what plugs should i have in this ski...maybe thats some of the problem aswell.

One final quesiton, what do the two different fuel pumps look like. Alot of people on here are saying the original one is no good, how come? How do i tell if i ahve the orignal or an upgrade??

thanks as always
    Last edited by paramuir; 07-08-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    ... anyone out there have better pics of how to expose the carbs/clean them?...

Also what plugs should I have in this ski...maybe thats some of the problem as well.

...what do the two different fuel pumps look like. A lot of people on here are saying the original one is no good, how come? How do i tell if i have the original or an upgrade?
    Carb rebuilding links to guides and other good info.

1992-1998 Service manual has the spark plug specs.
    Spark plugs choices have also been referenced in some recent threads.

The older Fuji fuel pumps look like this. I think the SL780 came stock with the 3 outlet fuel pump. Easy to tell, count how many fuel outlets your fuel pump has!

The original fuel pumps are OK when they are young, or rebuilt with fresh parts. As the pump ages, it does not pump fuel as effectively, and it no longer can supply full fuel flow at peak engine power. So the carbs are starved for fuel just when they need it most, which leans out the engine, causing piston burning.

The three outlet fuel pump has more pumping capacity to start with, so it always delivers enough fuel pressure to keep the carbs full. Since the 780 engine needs more fuel at full power than the smaller Fuji engines, Polaris spec'ed the larger three outlet pump as stock (my understanding, anyway), and that pump became the upgrade for the other engines (650, 750).

All this information is not that hard to find. It has all been posted before, sometimes years earlier. Do some searching! Ask questions after you simply can not find the information you need, but first really do the looking and reading legwork.

Yes, there will be material that does not directly apply to your current question, but that is the nature of this place. Sometimes you just have to wade through it all to find things.

Thread Information