Dickinson, TX

Polaris TXI 1200 Overheating

I have a 2001 Polaris Virage TX 1200. When I am on smooth water and am doing a lot of donuts and cutbacks occasionally the engine will start stuttering. When it does this I look at the dash and the LCD screen is showing ENGINE OVERHEATING. I have a stock intake grate underneath. Any ideas about why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it? I am certain that any time an engine overheats cuts time off of the life of the engine.
    Last edited by bruce0429; 07-08-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Misidentified Ski

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If you have not done so yet, download the 2002 Service Manual, as I think you have a 2001 Virage TXi. Most of the 2002 information will apply, but there are some differences in the way the electrical system is put together.

You need to verify that the cooling system is operating properly. You may have a partial clog or restriction somewhere, that may be running the engine hot, close to overheat, and when you start doing tricks, the reduced water flow pushes the temps over the limit.

Check all cooling hoses for kinks or other possible problems. In my 2002 Virage TXi, I discovered one of the smaller cooling hoses had a tight kink, restricting water flow to the stator cover and the EMM computer (which is water cooled).

Also pull the thermostat housing off, and check the thermostat and spring loaded valve for cleanliness and proper operation. I think the thermostat is supposed to open at 143F, so you can put it in a pot of water, and watch it open as you heat the water (don't boil it).

Do you ride in salt water, or water that has silt or sand?

If you have sucked fine sand into the jet pump, some of that material may have gotten into the cooling system. Reverse flush the engine, and check that the cooling water intake mesh inside the jet pump nozzle is clear.

Also check that the wire to the overheat sensor is not frayed or shorting against the metal of the engine somewhere, causing a false overheat signal.

That stutter in the engine is the EMM limiting the RPM to 3500, thereby reducing the heat output of the engine until it cools off enough.

If you are thrashing the machine about, it is good to keep the fuel and oil tanks above half full, to reduce the possibility of air getting mixed into the liquid and pumped down the fuel or oil lines. When either tank is near empty, it is best to just ride smoothly until you can refill.
    Last edited by K447; 07-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Cleveland Ohio
    My ski was doing the same thing. Check the thermostat and make sure it is opening and make sure that the pop off valvle is moving freely. I left my thermostat out for the test because I had no way of testing it at the time. My pop off was stuck.

Campbell, Ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixx911 View Post
    My pop off was stuck.
    The most neglected service item in the Polaris PWC world I bet.

Oh and WELCOME to the boards Bruce!!

Thread Information