Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 XP won't consistently turn over

My ski won't turn over consistently, but this is what happened, for some reason when trying to start it, the system got full of oil. So I had to pull the plugs and turn it over with a nice eruption of oil out of the cylinders--not sure why that happened, but according to the guy I bought it from this has happened to him as well. Anyway, got the oil out and now when I go to start it, it will not turn over continuously. If I hold down the start button, the motor turns over for about 1 sec and stops and then turns over again for another second and stops--it will not constantly turn over. I have checked everything on it. I took out the electronics inside the box. When I jump the solenoid, it turns over no problem consistently. So I am thinking it is either the solenoid or the module to which controls the solenoid. I can hear the relay in the solenoid clicking when I tried to keep it turning over and it cuts in and out. All I can think is that maybe with all the oil in the system, when I was turning it over and it got really hard to crank, it burned something out. Any ideas guys?
    Thanks. It ran great last year

+1
    It is probally hydro locking on the excess oil in motor.

yeah I am sure it does, but it also does this with the plugs out. It is not spraying anymore oil out of the cylinders, but it will not consistently turn it over unles I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Do the solenoids go bad? Maybe it was hydrolocked liek you say and overheated the solenoid? Or I guess the module which controls the solenoid? Or even the start button? What is the module called that activates the solenoid? And can they go bad like that?
    Thanks!!!!

+1
    Yes solenoids go bad,replace with new one & retry.

Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Yes solenoids go bad,replace with new one & retry.
    thanks so much for the advice.

+1
    Shouldn't he find out why his engine flooded with oil?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    Shouldn't he find out why his engine flooded with oil?
    I think we all know the answer to that ....

I don't why it flooded, I assumed it just pumped too much in when I was trying to get it going. I never had any trouble running it last year, but I know a couple of years ago, the same thing happened to the guy I bought it from. Is there a common reason to why that would happen. I have never seen a sled do this. thanks.

+1
    Does that much oil get dumped into the engine with trying to start it for that long?

+1
    if the rotary shaft seal is worn, it will leak oil. It will leak past the seal into the rotary cover area and fill the intake with oil. usually, if not leaking bad, it will just smoke excessively upon firing till its cleared out. It it is worn bad, it will leak epecially it is sits for an extended period of time.
    If you pull the carbs and rotary cover, there is a weep hole at the very bottom. this weep hole is an indicator to note that the rotary shaft seal is worn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information