Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Stator Issue/Question

Hello all. It seems my stator is giving me stress. I had parked the ski for 2 years out of frustration but after taking the time to look into it, I'm sure the stator is going bad.
    I have a '97 SLT 700. When it gets hot it wont idle, usually quits way out on the lake, and wont start again until it cools. When its cool it runs great!
    I pulled the flywheel off last night....looks like the oil pump has leaked oil into the case as well, I'm sure that didnt help.
    My Question: I have heard that I can send my stator to jet-ski solutions and they can repair it. I was wondering if there is a way to put some newer upgraded ignition system into there instead? I read a post (I cant find it now and the printout is at the shop) that said I could put a newer model stator in if I got a newer model CDI as well? What all would I need and where could I get it? My CDI is the one with the red backing and com port between the two plug wires. The stator wires are all individually connected, not connected through a single connector. I couldnt find anything stator wise on SBT, wether a replacement or upgrade.

What have most of you done or what would you reccomend me doing? I want to put the best stuff I can back in so I dont have to do this again!
    Thanks for you time and help,
    Jason

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

What is the part number on your CDI, and on the stator?

There is an update kit for the two cylinder engines, have a scan through the Classifieds. Should also be available new from the major sources;
    AtlanticPowersports.com, Babbitts, Watcon.com, etc.

Apparently the update kits are worth the extra cost over just fixing your old stator.

Thanks for the welcome! This really seems to be a great site, lots of info!

Thank you very much for the fast response and link also! I will get the CDI # and stator # for you this afternoon. I do know it is a 2nd gen CDI, I just left all my notes at the shop .
    I had read a lot about the upgrading but couldnt figure out what to get or where to get it. I understand I need to change the CDI and Stator for the upgrade.
    I will get back to you ASAP on the part #'s.
    Thanks again!

+1
    I always prefer to update the entire package as you don't have to worry about it for years to come.
    The kit has the stator, CDI, coils and wires.

I'd also like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I always prefer to update the entire package as you don't have to worry about it for years to come.

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for! Is there a special kit I need to be looking for or individual pieces? I cannot seem to find any of these parts, esp. as a kit on atlantic or babbits. The OEM Parts links from this site doesnt even appear to handle Polaris stuff.
    Whats the approx. cost for an upgrade kit? I've found the individual parts I think now, do I have to order each seperately (CDI, Stator, Coil)? http://www.atlanticpowersports.com/f...ion_detail.asp
    Also, whats your experience with babbitts? I ordered some ATV stuff from them last year and it took almost a month to get parts, and some never showed up!
    Last edited by MaxFarmer; 07-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.

+1
    Post 9 has the part number.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15437

I like to use the guys who support the board and have had a similar problem with Babbitts so I use Randy at Watcon and Jay at Atlantic Power Sports.
    If nobody has anything I'll sell my new kit (I like to have a spare) for 285. plus shipping.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxFarmer View Post
    ...Is there a special kit I need to be looking for or individual pieces?
    Yes, it is available as a kit.
    Part# for the 1997 SLT700 update kit is 2873355

Update kit 2873022 is for the 1998-1999 twins, and seems to be the same, except for the CDI part#, which delivers more agressive ignition timing, but would require higher octane gasoline.

I cannot seem to find any of these parts, esp. as a kit on atlantic or babbits.
    You need the kit part number, then you can order it.
    Or just telephone them to order it.

The OEM Parts links from this site doesnt even appear to handle Polaris stuff.
    The Green Hulk 4-tec store is mostly SeaDoo and other current makes.

Whats the approx. cost for an upgrade kit?
    I've found the individual parts I think now, do I have to order each seperately (CDI, Stator, Coil)? http://www.atlanticpowersports.com/f...ion_detail.asp

...Whats your experience with Babbitts?
    I ordered some ATV stuff from them last year and it took almost a month to get parts, and some never showed up!
    For myself, so far, so good with Babbitts. They did ship each order in several separate shipments, and I think I did get everything I ordered, eventually

For the update kit, I would suggest you go with Atlantic (ask for Jay), or Watcon (Randy), unless a kit pops up from the Classifieds guys. That way, you have someone to talk to, if there is an issue with the kit (other than us here).

With the Ethanol being mixed into so much of the regular gasoline (and Polaris recommends 89 Octane minimum for fuel with Ethanol), you should consider running only premium Octane gasoline. Premium fuel often has less Ethanol mixed in, or even no Ethanol, which is a good thing for Marine engines.

If you go with buying premium fuel only, you can use the 2873022 update kit (aka the Hurricane kit), and will have a bit more power, and a more responsive engine across the RPM band.
    Last edited by K447; 07-08-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Ethanol, premium fuel, Hurricane update kit info

+1
    As a side note you can use both the 2873355 (for your exact application) or 2873022 (Hurricane) for a little better timing curve but will probably require the use of supreme with todays poor fuels.

Thank you so much for all the help guys. I think I am going to order a kit anyway, even though I am not so sure this is my problem anymore. The stator I took off doesnt look that bad?? I am all for supporting vendors who supports this board, I will call Jay or Randy first.
    A little history: This was my wife's ski (actually mother in laws). Back in the late 90's one of them capsized it and they said it never ran right since. They took it to the dealer 3 different times, the last time it was a $700 and my MIL didnt want to pay it so she left the ski be. A few years later she got a letter that they were going to sell it if she didnt pay the bill and pick it up. So, I paid the bill and am now 1/2 owner....anyway, it still quits when it gets hot. I got mad and parked it in my shed for another 2 years. I do not know what the dealership did/did not do.
    Here's what really seems fishy, my Electronic box part #'s have been crossed out with perm. marker and another number that had been written on the box has been attempted to be covered up also?? What I can make out of the box # is: ??010379
    Coil Box #: 105 552.03
    Stator PN: 4010402 05/02
    Engine model#: wc70-DCSP-03

Maybe they put newer stuff in it?
    Also does the flywheel cover gasket need to be replaced?

Thanks again for all the help!

I see the cover gasket comes in the kit.

I also plan on getting the hurricane kit, I am going to start mixing my own fuel and delete the oil pump, all it does is leak!
    Last edited by MaxFarmer; 07-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information