VTS effectiveness on RXP?

I have a 2006 RXP that I've only had for a couple of months.

My question concerns the VTS system - how much of a change should it make to the ski's ride when you change the settings?

On my previous ski, 2001 RX-DI, changing the VTS setting while the ski was underway made a big change in the way the ski behaved. You could tell that the VTS was working just based on the change in the wake when you either lifted or lowered the bow.

On my 2006 RXP, by contrast, there's hardly any change at all. Is this normal?

When I move the switch I can hear the VTS motor running so I think that it's working. The ski is currently in the lake and I'm by myself so I can't watch the VTS system to verify that it's working.

Should the VTS on the RXP be as effective as the VTS on the RX-DI or are they two totally different animals?

+1
    I t is more noticable on the rx than on the rxp but you should still be able to tell the diff. The rx is shorter and lighter and that is why it is more noticable. Trim all of the way up and get off the ski and look at the nozzle. It should be pointing up at about a 40 degree angle. Then trim all the way down and look again. It should be pointing down at about a 40 degree angle. If it does this it is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    I t is more noticable on the rx than on the rxp but you should still be able to tell the diff. The rx is shorter and lighter and that is why it is more noticable. Trim all of the way up and get off the ski and look at the nozzle. It should be pointing up at about a 40 degree angle. Then trim all the way down and look again. It should be pointing down at about a 40 degree angle. If it does this it is working fine.
    Thanks for the help.

I just checked the ski while it's still in the water and I noticed that I can move the nozzle up and down without any resistance - something's obviously broken or there's a fastener missing.

The other thing I just noticed is that the OPAS fins seem to stay up all the time - I wonder if these two problems are related?

Thanks again for the help - I had almost convinced myself that the ski was operating as designed.

Opas has nothing to do with the VTS- two completley different systems
    On the RXP, the opas fins dont move up and down, thats only on the RXT or GTX hulls
    if the nozzle is moving freely yes something is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bron1c View Post
    Opas has nothing to do with the VTS- two completley different systems
    On the RXP, the opas fins dont move up and down, thats only on the RXT or GTX hulls
    if the nozzle is moving freely yes something is wrong
    Thanks for the help - now I understand.

I was reading through the owner's manual and saw the illustration that showed the OPAS fins in the raised and lowered positions - I didn't know that feature was just on the RXT and GTX hulls.

So now that I know my OPAS is OK I'll have to figure out what is wrong with the VTS System.

Thanks again for the help.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    my VTS was the same way. It's a silly design really. The actuator rod is plastic with a nut molded into it. it snapped at that joint so the motor moves the nut and the dispaly reads, but no trim action. It's a ~$30 part. check teh parts finder in the online store.

i think nine broke by accidentally hitting the nozzle on a dock.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    my VTS was the same way. It's a silly design really. The actuator rod is plastic with a nut molded into it. it snapped at that joint so the motor moves the nut and the dispaly reads, but no trim action. It's a ~$30 part. check teh parts finder in the online store.

i think nine broke by accidentally hitting the nozzle on a dock.
    It sounds like I have the exact same problem - the display changes, the VTS motor hums but there's no trim action.

Thanks for the help - I'd be happy if I can fix this problem for $30.

Just a quick update.....

I took the ski out of the water last night and looked at it this morning.

It's really odd, all of the parts are there but the VTS rod was not connected to the VTS Motor. The bolt and nut were on the rod, it just wasn't hooked up to the VTS Motor.

I checked the hole that the bolt goes through on the VTS Motor and it was perfect.

Since I bought the ski used I guess I'll never know exactly what happened. I cannot imagine that it would have left the factory that way, so someone must have had the pump off at some point and failed to reassemble the VTS correctly.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I've assembled the VTS rod to the VTS Motor and I'm looking forward to checking it out this afternoon.

Thread Information