+1

Challenger 1800 New Impellers Questions? Update PICS ADDED

Hey guys quick question for the guys here that have changed their impellers on the older C1800 with the 2 stroke 787 engines. I have a 99 Challenger 1800. Runs very well, little hestitate when you first hit the throttle from idle but run excellent otherwise. I decided to swap out the impellers on my boat to Solas 15/23. Picked up a set on Ebay. Brand new. Took apart the pumps and when comparing the impellers side by side you can see the Solas impeller hub is much smaller than the OEM. Which you would think is great, problem I have is that while the hub is smaller than the OEM the housing now doesn't match up and there is a step up from the aft section of the impeller to the housing. I didn't have much else to do and installed them anyhow thinking is might be OK. Impellers have been changed before I have ever throught about doing it without issues. Well, I have some bad cavitation from the start and lose of top speed. I'm sure it is due to the turbulant water flow through the pump.

Anybody ever run into anything like this before? Is my pump of a different design? Maybe I have the wrong impellers. So much for better performance.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by mark2m; 07-31-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Im having the same problem with cavitation im gonna reseal around the ride plate and the pump shoe and seal the pump to the shoe. As for the impellers im going with the Skats Swirl 17/22 pitch
    Last edited by Dr Len; 07-09-2008 at 10:54 PM.

+1
    I had sealed around the ride plate, pump, shoe with black RTV a couple seasons ago. Couldn't tell if there was any benefit. Some of the RTV had pulled away this season though. Also went back to the older bearing carrier which was the biggest improvement. Hoping these impellers would have added even more.

Nobody has run into anything like this with their boat? I can't be the only odd ball boat out there.

+1

Impeller pics

OK guys figured out what the ealier problem was. Pretty sad but I have the wrong impellers from Solas. According to Solas's website they were the right impellers but if you check a couple other suppliers and the parts catalog for the boat. The years are wrong. So since I needed new impellers and wasn't going back to the OEM ones I went with Skat-trak this time around.

Funny thing about the Skat-traks they look an awful like the OEM impellers. You can see they are a bit thicker at the blade tips but man they are similar. I hope thay make as big as an improvement as claimed. I went with the 16/22 swirls. Pics below show the OEM on the left and skat-trak on the right. Once I take the Solas out I'm get some pics of all the impellers side by side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	86032

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	86033

+1
    OK couple more pictures for anybody who cares.

On the left is a Solas SD-CD 15/23 impeller , OEM impeller for a '99 Challenger 1800 in the middle, and on the right is the Skat-trak swirls 16/22 140-75.

You'll notice that the Solas has a smaller hub than the OEM and Skat-trak. In '99 the pumps were changed ( at least in the boats ) and that is the difference you are seeing.

Tomorrow I'll test run it and see the difference. Oh and by the way there will be a set of Solas for sale soon if any body is interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	87221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	87222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	87223  

99 came stock with swirls?

It has been a while, but I believe that they did. Large hub 140 pumps
    C-Pump. If that is the case, you may want to have the originals serviced,
    new wear rings, and focus on pump/plate sealing and carbon ring/engine alignment. Good Luck!

Thread Information