Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

the water box didnt melt

ok the water box doesnt look liek it melted from being to hot at all but it seems to me it broke apart let me know what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010104.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	4602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010106.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	4603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010109.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	4604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010110.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	4605  

+1
    hmmm, seems to me the 3 hole dealio is keeping too much uncirculated water on the bottom of the casing.

that would make it break apart like that course that is greenhulks mod and he seem to be running fine

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSS
    hmmm, seems to me the 3 hole dealio is keeping too much uncirculated water on the bottom of the casing.
    FINALLY!!! someone sees the light!! i didn't spell this in black and white, wanted someone else to have the same theory. HOSS, i'm convinced and damn near positive the problem is not air flow or air temps. the problem is water evacuation ie non-circulated water chillen in the bottom of the box cooking away the death just like u said. it's gonna take a heck of alot to convince me that's not the problem bc i been thru this, analyzed it like u have no idea, and it makes perfect sense bc gutting those baffles eliminated the pressure the air used to put on the water to force it under that baffle and out the outlet.

now... the air casually goes across the baffle and escapes leaving gallons of water behind. this is whats happening.... i mean do u guys never flush ur skis? do u never look behind you after idling for a few minutes? nail the throttle and watch like a gallon of water come exploding out of the exhaust tip... turn the ski off, pull the seat off, stick ur head in there and listen to the insides of the waterbox.

this is why i firmly believe a modded stock waterbox needs LESS water, bc its not circulating anymore and building up and boiling and boiling

+1
    Good theory, but then why are there so many modded boxes such as mine that have never had an issue?

Are you saying the hot water in the bottom of the waterbox is getting hot enough to melt the aluminum?

shibby now that you put it liek that it make perfect sense and if it was boiling liek you say that would make the metal crack apart and break up im on your side with this def now but on question how does your moded box work then

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i wouldn't say we're melting waterboxes, cracking boxes, exploding them. most of the cases are the baffle welds breaking.

it also seems that the larger percentage of waterbox failures are in mid to northern states in cooler water.

i dont know diddly about metal, it's properties, welding..... but what does it take to crack a weld. at what temp do welds weaken? what's the maximum possible temperature water and/or vapor can reach and is that hot enough to weaken the weld and have the air pressure just snap it.

two modded waterboxes i've seen have problems... both had a similar characteristic. they were rainbowed at the back end of the box where all the water was sitting. doesn't extremely hot boiling water leave a rainbowed color on metal typically as it does on kitchen-ware?

alot of contradcitory thigns in this... but how bout all the water accumulating is recuding the volume of the waterbox for the air, increasing the air pressure enough to bend and snap the baffles out of place?

i dont know....
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 07-13-2006 at 07:33 PM.

+1
    hmmmm, you know what? i do not run the black rubber insulation on my modded waterbox. That stuff could really be keeping the heat in.

+1
    Not to mention that insulation weighs like 8 lbs. More if its water soaked. Take that crap off!

yes and shiby you had said that more of them that broke came from colder areas well thing agout it you heat steel till it glows then freeze it suddenly it makes it week and brital and then let it cool slowly its twice as strong so the see what im getting at and in greenhulk area the water is hotter so it doenst cool it as fast so it stays stronger and yes mine is rainbowed to but thats what i think getting hot then cold over and over kills the metl and makes it weak just liek i ran mien for a few weeks it was fien but after tiem it gave out on me in my book

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information