Would a broken OPAS System affect VTS?

I have a 2006 RXP and with the help of another Greenhulk Member I've determined that my VTS is not working. I can reach down and move the nozzle up and down about 40 degrees without any resistance.

I've also noticed that my OPAS fins are always in the up position.

Is it possible that the OPAS System could cause the problem with my loose nozzle? The ski steers perfectly and the reverse bucket operates without any problems. When I reach down to move the nozzle it seems like the whole assembly moves up and down.

The ski is currently in the water so it's somewhat difficult to diagnose.

Could a problem with OPAS cause my problem with VTS?

Thanks in advance.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Hi Mason Lake,

First off, your OPAS will not effect the operation of the VTS. In fact, the OPAS does not move up and down on the RXP... that is a function only used on the RXT/GTX.

As far as being able to move the steering nozzle up and down with little resistance, I agree with you, something is wrong. It is common for the nozzle to become stuck in one position when the VTS motor is either bad, or the VTS communication is lost between the ECU and the MPEM/controls (a BUDS related problem). But I have never heard of the nozzle being easily moved due to these problems. It sounds like the VTS rod has become unhooked or has broke.

Take a look at the black rod coming from the pump shoe to the steering nozzle trim ring. It's on the starboard side above the steering rod... #24 on this page:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=129&B=15

Hope this helps,

Jeff
    Last edited by 05Limited; 07-09-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Hi Mason Lake,

First off, your OPAS will not effect the operation of the VTS. In fact, the OPAS does not move up and down on the RXP... that is a function only used on the RXT/GTX.

As far as being able to move the steering nozzle up and down with little resistance, I agree with you, something is wrong. It is common for the nozzle to become stuck in one position when the VTS motor is either bad, or the VTS communication is lost between the ECU and the MPEM/controls (a BUDS related problem). But I have never heard of the nozzle being easily moved due to these problems. It sounds like the VTS rod has become unhooked or has broke.

Take a look at the black rod coming from the pump shoe to the steering nozzle trim ring. It's on the starboard side above the steering rod... #24 on this page:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=129&B=15

Hope this helps,

Jeff
    Thanks for the help.

I'll pull the ski out of the water tomorrow and try to determine what the problem is. Hopefully it's something simple like the steering rod you made reference to in the illustration.

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Information