MSX 140 wont start, but runs....help!

I have an 04 msx 140 that will turn over but will not start unless you put some fuel into the throttle bodies. Once it is started this way it runs great until you turn it back off and then it will not start again! Is there some auto choke issue or could it maybe be the emm? Help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

The MSX 140 Service Manual is availble here.

Check your fuel pressure, and check the voltage feeding the injectors, during cranking, it should be 20+ volts (check the manual for the exact spec)

+1
    WELCOME to the Hulk rudie!!

I'd check for fuel pressure and can you hear the pump run??

Thanks!

I was thinking that it may be the pump too but if it was that the ski wouldn't keep running...right? After I put fuel in the throttle bodies to get it running I went out on the lake and rode for a good 25 min and it ran great. Then I brought it back in and killed it and it wouldn't start again.

Any more ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The MSX 140 Service Manual is availble here.

Check your fuel pressure, and check the voltage feeding the injectors, during cranking, it should be 20+ volts (check the manual for the exact spec)
    Quote Originally Posted by rudie20 View Post
    Any more ideas?
    Did you check the fuel pressure during cranking?

It is possible that the engine vibration allows a weak electrical connection to work, but only when it is already running.

Did you check the injector voltage during cranking?

A weak stator can generate too low voltage during cranking, but once it is spinning at 1,100+RPM, the voltage is enough to fire the injectors properly.

So it seems that the battery was the problem then entire time. I dropped in a new one and she starts right up. Do you guys think that the problem could be the stator not charging the battery or would that not be it since it ran fine with a weak battery after I got it started by putting fuel in the TB? Are the specs in the manual for the stator outputs supposed to be measured while cranking the engine or with it running?

Thanks again

+1

Arrow Check your battery during cranking, even if you think it is good (especially then)

Quote Originally Posted by rudie20 View Post
    ...Do you guys think that the problem could be the stator not charging the battery or would that not be it since it ran fine with a weak battery...
    Glad to hear you solved the starting problem!

Put a multi-meter on the battery posts. If it shows 14.x volts DC with the engine running, then the charging system is working, and the battery is charging (if it is a healthy battery).

Your story is a common one - "...I think the battery is good enough, so I won't actually check the voltage at the battery during cranking..."

Moral of the story - If you think your battery is OK, you are probably wrong, or only half right.

If the cranking voltage is not at least 11 volts, charge or replace the battery. In fact, just replace the battery anyway, with the best you can buy - an AGM battery.

Thread Information