Periodically handles as if the front end was full of water

While I have significant motorcycle experience, I'm a newbie on these PWC’s. I purchased a 1996 1100 Yamaha Wave Venture this week to ride at our beach house.

Day one was interesting – getting out through the Indian river inlet around to the beach seemed pretty treacherous – but determination got me there. After about 30 minutes I had enough comfort to start jumping the waves etc…. it was an absolute blast – every bit as much fun as I thought it would be!

Day two, the rough water the inlet exit was still a little scary but not as much as day one. The ocean was still rough on the beach side so there was a lot of wave jumping etc. As you would imagine a bunch of water rolled over the front end at various times.

After about an hour of this type of riding – the front end started doing something really weird….. It started to handle as if the whole front end was full of water! Not knowing what was going on I beached it and looked all around for the problem but did not find anything – no accumulation of water anywhere?? After a few minutes on the beach I took it out again to see if the problem was repeated….. it was for a few minutes but then seemed to just go away. To describe this problem in a little more detail – in rough water the front end wanted to dive rather that top the waves, and it became very difficult to steer. It also seemed to loose power at the same time too. In calm water it just doesn’t have as much power and does not turn as well.

This was repeated twice while at the beach yesterday. Finally with the ocean getting rougher by the minute, I decided to ride it back into the inlet. With the problem gone temporarily I rode without any problems in the inlet and inter-costal calm waters for another half hour. At one point I went up to where the river meets the ocean and was capsized. It was upside down for about 5 minutes – but fired right back up when righted (thank God!).

However the problem with the front end reappeared a few minutes later in calm water. I rode it for another hour until it ran out of gas, trying to get a better understanding of what was going on. The problem did not go away this time.

Can anyone explain what may be causing the problem that makes the front end want to dive, slowing down the PWC, and diminishing the maneuverability? I'm a little concerned about bringing it around to the beach side again with this problem. It would be damn near impossible to ride it through the inlet with this problem, and it would not be an easy feat to get it out of the water if I get stuck on the beach side.

Thank you in advance for any experience you can share.

Im also new to PWC's, and im not familiar with your model but it sounds like it's not trimmed right.If your model does not come w/trim check the pitch of your nozzel.If its pointed down that would push the front down

Quote Originally Posted by H2OYEAH View Post
    Im also new to PWC's, and im not familiar with your model but it sounds like it's not trimmed right.If your model does not come w/trim check the pitch of your nozzel.If its pointed down that would push the front down
    +1.

Not sure if wave Raiders have adjustable trim, but if they do and it was all the way down the ski would always ride on a plane, and never rise up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    +1.

Not sure if wave Raiders have adjustable trim, but if they do and it was all the way down the ski would always ride on a plane, and never rise up.
    Wave VENTURES do not have trim.

The problem you are describing seems to be a strange one. Riding it swells and rough cross chop will make any ski unpredictable at times. If you are turning and water rolls over the front it will act strange, especially since water is getting into the hull. They have a siphon type bilge that works off of pressure, so by the time you made it back to the beach, most of the water might have been gone.

I would suggest you go over the sponsons, ride plate, intake grate, and steering nozzle and make sure they are tight.

I think I figured it out…..

I think I figured it out….. There is a shroud that comes down over the nozzle as shown in the pic below that I have deducted is the reversing mechanism. This shroud seems like it was getting lodged in either the down position or half down position. There was a piece of wire there as an attempt to keep it in the up position, and the lever for reverse has a cable that goes back to this shroud which as been disconnected (I think it is a missing some linking pieces to tie the cable to the shroud too). I tried reverse the first day and it didn’t work, but I didn’t care much….. didn’t seem like it be much fun riding in reverse anyways…

To me it seems like if this reversing shroud was even partly down at higher speeds in the forward direction – the PWC would act as if it wanted to dive, or the front end were full of water.

I called around to some of the area Yamaha shops and the best anyone could do to look at it was a week, (some said they couldn’t even look at it for 3 weeks!) We are only on vacation for another week so I’m going to try to fix it myself later today.

Before I start messing around with it - I’d love to get confirmation that this is in fact the reverse mechanism – and that it is OK to disable or disassemble it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Paul Fisher
    Finishing Talk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	82309  

+1
    I think you found it!!

African-American
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    I think you found it!!
    +1

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    go here
    http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...pe=13&A=60&B=7
    see what you are missing, then get the parts to make it work... its handy loading and unloading....

Thread Information