Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SHO fuel guage

SHO fuel guage update

Hey guys,
    Been lurking on the site for a long time, founds tons of info.
    I have a SHO Cruiser and i have noticed that from full to half a tank goes real slow, but i will go from half a tank to low fuel alarm in about 5 miles roughly. Anyone else expierencing this? Also,
    once the low fuel buzzer goes off, how much fuel is still left in the tank, (how much travel time do i still have?)
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Borderguy; 07-11-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Haven't seen any info on that yet. I've noticed that the first "half" of the tank on my cruiser seemed to go by a bit faster than the last "half", too...

Of course, so far, the only time I've really run it much past half a tank, I was on it by myself for the first half, and was 3 up after that.

Strap a 5 gal gas can to the back deck, run it dry and let us know

New Hampshire Physically, Maine/Canada Mentally!
    Yes, it will be very good to know before I strand myself out in the unforgiving Bay of Fundy! My first time out, last weekend in Portsmouth, NH, I only went to half a tank, so I will be curious to see peoples' thoughts on the 2nd half of the tank experience. This weekend I am going out, but I doubt I will use more than my first half a tank. August will be my savage attack on gas consumption, (up to Maine and Canadian coast I go) to which I will toss yall some cool ocean pics...

Quote Originally Posted by amharms View Post
    Haven't seen any info on that yet. I've noticed that the first "half" of the tank on my cruiser seemed to go by a bit faster than the last "half", too...

Of course, so far, the only time I've really run it much past half a tank, I was on it by myself for the first half, and was 3 up after that.

Strap a 5 gal gas can to the back deck, run it dry and let us know
    That would have to be a day i dont have a kid with me. I did a trip i used to do with my gp1200r and i would be on reserve when i got back to the dock, but, i wouldnt have to switch over until about a mile away. But since these dont have reserve and i was still about 5 miles or so away from the dock, i borrowed a gas can and put 3 gallons in from a marina that wont fuel a pwc, (but will fuel the can and you can dump the can in tied to their dock) and when i got to the dock, the low fuel warning went off again. i figured the fuel range should be at least as far as the GPR was. and No, i wasnt WOT the whole time unlike when i rode the GPR, i only did a few bursts of WOT.

on my sho the fuel guage doesnt seem to be to reliable. manual says that the buzzer goes off with 4+ gallons left. but I have never seen only one bar on my ski it goes from 2 bars to out of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    on my sho the fuel guage doesnt seem to be to reliable. manual says that the buzzer goes off with 4+ gallons left. but I have never seen only one bar on my ski it goes from 2 bars to out of gas.
    My cruiser went from two bars to one last Saturday on the way back to the ramp without the buzzer coming on. The buzzer didn't come on until I got it home and flushed the engine. (probably due to the slope on the driveway?)

I'll see how much gas I can get in there when I fill it up this weekend.

I'm also curious as to whether the 18.5 gallons figure is the total internal volume of the tank, or the amount of gas you can get in there while adhering to the "two-inches from the top" rule...

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    ive come to the conclusion that the SHO fuel gauge 'blows goats', going from full to half a tank takes a long time......and then all of a sudden the guage is dropping like u have a fuel leak........and i hate the 2 bars at a time crap......Yammi should of done better
    Prolly more accurate to pull ur seat off and look to see where ur fuel is........

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Prolly more accurate to pull ur seat off and look to see where ur fuel is........
    This is why I've been lugging a flashlight around

Would help to know what the shape of the gas tank is, though. If the bottom is significantly narrower than the top, visual inspection will have the same problem as the gauge.

I find the gauge on my gpr is the same way from full to half takes a while half-the buzzer doesn't take as long...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    ive come to the conclusion that the SHO fuel gauge 'blows goats', going from full to half a tank takes a long time......and then all of a sudden the guage is dropping like u have a fuel leak........and i hate the 2 bars at a time crap......Yammi should of done better
    Same thing here. Just gotta roll with it. The ski still rocks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information