twin 110s in a speedster cavitation

other than a worn ring or damaged impeller what will cause cavitation and higher RPM? My port motor spins up way quicker than the star side and seems to slip while the Star side pulls it up. It runs a few 100 rpm higher too. Will take the reverse off and the steering to get a better look at the imp and ring but they look good from the underside.

I have the same problem on my Challenger 1800. Im gonna reseal all around the ride plate and pump shoe and run a small bead around where the pump meets the shoe. I let you know what happens. Gonna do it this weekend.

anyone else?

Ok This is what I did.Ran new bead of silicone around ride plate and pump support and sealed the pump to the pump support.No more cavitation.

OK Dr Len, I am newe the jets.....LOL
    Ride plate is the black plate on the bottem of the hull where the intake is right?
    Pump to pump support is where?
    Also, how does this help with cavatition?
    Thanks

if there is an air leak at the seal, then the moving water in the pump chamber will suck in air and cause the impeller to cavitate.

I should have taken pictures. I had to pull out the drive shaft and shaft protector out. But everything is ok now. The service manual says nothing about this. This is why it drove me crazy.I sealed the **** out of everything. Just take your time. Trust me it will work.There is a space where the ride plate meets the pump shoe a little gap in the pump tunnel seal it up real good. Also I also changed my impellers to Skat Traks 17/22 swirlls. I lost a mile an hour on top but the hole shot is a way lot better. Also make sure the clamps on the bellow holding the carbon seal and the one connected to the inside of the hull are tight. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Dr Len; 07-14-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Old carbon seals or the rubber boots get old and wont seal as well. They can let air in the pumps too. Sometimes you can loosen the clamps holding them and slide them towards the engines to get them to seal a little tighter to get some more life out of them. I did this on the carbon seal side and the hull side. Seemed to help. I also had a broken engine mounts, and misaligned engines to the pumps because of the broken mounts. I think the vibration shook the seals at speed and would cavitate the pumps more.

Thread Information