Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water In Yer Bilge?

launched My Newly Purchsed Virage 1200 Di Yesterdayand After Installing A Back Flush Kit To The Water Bar(had To Remove Whole Unit Because Fuel Injectors Were In The Way) There Seemed To Be Alot Of Water In Bilge, I Checked My Work And No Leaks. Where Else Might Water Be Coming In From?
    wetwelder

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    cooling lines, exhaust, shaft seal, speed pickup disconected, and my favorite bonehead move: is your drain plug in and snug?

+1
    One idea is to start filling the hull with water and then climb under the boat and check to see where it exits the hull. Point the nose up into the air so the water can concentrate on the rear hull area. My guess is thru hull fitting or possibly the speedo pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    One idea is to start filling the hull with water and then climb under the boat and check to see where it exits the hull. Point the nose up into the air so the water can concentrate on the rear hull area. My guess is thru hull fitting or possibly the speedo pick up.
    If this picture is of you.........will you marry me?

+1
    It's not and trust me, you want nothing to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    It's not and trust me, you want nothing to do with me.
    I'm cool as long as the bilge pump works......right?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wetwelder View Post
    ...Newly Purchased Virage 1200 Di Yesterday and After Installing A Back Flush Kit To The Water Bar (had To Remove Whole Unit Because Fuel Injectors Were In The Way)
    My guess is that you installed a non-Ficht Flush kit.
    I think the Ficht version has a right angle fitting, fits on the outside side of the water bar.

There Seemed To Be a lot Of Water In Bilge,
    How much water is 'a lot of water'?

I Checked My Work And No Leaks.
    Where Else Might Water Be Coming In From?...
    First off, NEVER base your safety on the bilge pump working, and continuing to work. Bilge pumps fail all the time, and should be a back up plan, not the main plan.

In the Virage TXi (and many other Polaris models), the bilge pump runs all the time when the engine is running. That means many hours on the pump, even if it has not been pumping much water.

Attached are photos of the bilge exit fitting on my 2002 Virage TXi. Note the factory installed zip ties on the bilge hoses. Which leaked, of course. If that hose had come off the fitting when I really needed that pump to do the job, I would have had no bilge pumping ability. Gear clamps fixed that leak.

I found that a fair bit of the water in my bilge was coming in around the front storage bucket. The seal under the lip of the bucket is rather thin, and when the nose dips under the waves, I think the water pushes past the seal, and then runs towards the back of the hull as you ride.

I have applied thicker sealing material around the bucket, and around the opening for the bucket rim. So far, so good. Now I just need to get the seat seals to not leak so much water...

Do check whether you are getting water in around or through the through-hull bearing. If it is leaking, it needs to be addressed. Water inside that bearing means rust, and failed bearings, and possibly a sinking, if it tears the rubber mount apart when the bearing seizes.

Check that the speedometer fitting is not leaking. Hard to see it under the drive shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040468.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	523.3 KB 
ID:	82190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040469.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	82191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040470.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	82193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7080516.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	82194  
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    First off, NEVER base your safety on the bilge pump working, and continuing to work. Bilge pumps fail all the time, and should be a back up plan, not the main plan.

In the Virage TXi (and many other Polaris models), the bilge pump runs all the time when the engine is running. That means many hours on the pump, even if it has not been pumping much water.

Attached are photos of the bilge exit fitting on my 2002 Virage TXi. Note the factory installed zip ties on the bilge hoses. Which leaked, of course. If that hose had come off the fitting when I really needed that pump to do the job, I would have had no bilge pumping ability. Gear clamps fixed that leak.

I found that a fair bit of the water in my bilge was coming in around the front storage bucket. The seal under the lip of the bucket is rather thin, and when the nose dips under the waves, I think the water pushes past the seal, and the runs towards the back of the hull as you ride.

I have applied thicker sealing material around the bucket, and around the opening for the bucket rim. So far, so good. Now I just need to get the seat seals to not leak so much water...

Do check whether you are getting water in around or through the through-hull bearing. If it is leaking, it needs to be addressed. Water inside that bearing means rust, and failed bearings, and possibly a sinking, if it tears the rubber mount apart when the bearing seizes.

Check that the speedometer fitting is not leaking. Hard to see it under the drive shaft.
    do you need a mirror to see speedo fitting? how did you get that picture?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    do you need a mirror to see speedo fitting?
    how did you get that picture?
    A mirror will do it.

Trade secret (not really);
    I use a compact digital camera, set to close-up mode (flower icon) with the flash on.

I stick the camera anywhere where I cannot see directly, and presto, I can see it on my computer screen.

Sometimes I take several shots, since I can't see the viewfinder screen very well, if at all. And sometimes the camera wants to focus on everything BUT what I am trying to photograph!

NO!!!!!! figure it out first. My 00 slx was taking on little amounts of water every time out...thought it was no big deal. I took it in the lake for the 5th ride since i bought it, went over a wave, sucked water iinto the intake, which im guessing led to my broke rod bearing which went through my cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information