Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

05 RXP having starting issues

Hey just got everything back together on the ski and went to start it up and nothing. I know the battery is good, and check the cable connections but nothing. All I hear is the solenoid click, my grandfather jumped the the contacts and the engine turned over a little. Ot of like 30 start attempts I get the same thing just clicks. Twice it attempted to start by turning over a few times but its didnt last. Any ideas of what else to check? All I want to do is just ride it and I cant.

updated: removed the solenoid and had my grandfather test it. Works fine. put it back in, now im getting what sounds like a double click when I hold the start/stop button down. Sounds like it is coming from the solenoid up front and from somewhere around the engine (starter maybe). Im at a loss, I have read every search and cant figure out what my problem could be, knowing my luck it is the starter which looks like a pain in the a$$ to replace.
    Last edited by sfackett0; 07-09-2008 at 02:26 PM.

+1
    ok well i still dont know whats going on with my ski. Seen somewhere on the fourm to check to see if the engine will turn over. Took the plugs out and hooked up a spare car battery directly to the lead going to the starter. Turned over no problem, drive shaft was spinning. Placed the plugs back in hooked it up, again nothing, just double clicking. Tried to see if the starter would turn over again, this time touched the spare battery to the starter contact while on the solenoid, it just dog-ed out wouldnt turn the engine over, WTF. Really im at a loss any help will do, at this point in time i just ready to sell it and be done with this headache.

try to jump it off or get a new battery

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by busa504 View Post
    try to jump it off or get a new battery
    Jumping is bad mojo on Sea Doos. Depending on the ski's age it can fry an ECU or MPEM(especially the MPEMs)

+1
    yes, be careful jumping it off using a car battery. Thats a lot more cranking amps vs. a smaller PWC battery. As Darth said, its not good practice.

+1
    im not jumping it with direct contact to the main battery cable, i was only jumping to the the lead coming off the starter to test to see if the start would work. Also my grandfather is a 30+ year 12volt electrican so he knows what he is doing. I appricieate your concern of what not to do, but i really help on the issue I having ie. it not starting

Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    im not jumping it with direct contact to the main battery cable, i was only jumping to the the lead coming off the starter to test to see if the start would work. Also my grandfather is a 30+ year 12volt electrican so he knows what he is doing. I appricieate your concern of what not to do, but i really help on the issue I having ie. it not starting
    I hate to tell you this, but what worked 30 years ago, may not work the same today. Thirty years ago there was transistor/resistor logic, then it went to integrated circuits. Now there is so much stuff that can't be tested by guys like us. It's just plug & play. If it doesn't work, plug in a new one and hope it works. I just finished replacing the alternator in my Saab today. With the engine running, the battery voltage was +12.2 VDC; with the engine off it was +12.49 VDC. So I had the choice of spending $1-k at the Saab dealer or replacing the alternator For <$200 from Napa. Saved $800 today... Ron

+1
    sounds like the starter relay. if you bridge it and it goes to wind over then try start it and it clicks thats your problem. it will be getting volts but not a current. try that anyway. be careful when bridging that you dont weld a screwdriver to the relay or touch the block.

+1
    +1 on starter relay replace it only what $40

+1
    ok ill try an pick one up tomorrow, hope the local shop doesnt want an arm and leg for one. I wish it was an automotive style, could have gotten one really cheap at work. wish me luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information