+1

13000 Mile run from Alaska to Miami Update

Looks like the boys have made it to the US.
    http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/

I've got the mojitos and corona's ready if they get to Miami!

All of us S. FL riders should greet them at sea as they come in..........

What kind of ski are they using? Any other links to their journey?

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I don't understand the low miles per day that these guys average. The record holder rode 10,000 miles in 106 days. That 94 miles per day. I would think someone could ride 5 hours a day and average 30 mph at least. Do these guys have a support boat following? These two are trying to average 122 miles per day.

+1

Yamaha's

From the pictures it seems they are riding Yamahas. They broke down and spent 3 days laid up. Local dealer came to their rescue and fixed their boats, water in fuel.

They have no support boats. Their website is very slow, probably on a South African server.......anybody have some server space to donate to them for a while?? I bet they would appreciate it.

Here's the link for daily updates http://www.13000miles.com/dailyupdates.asp

They have a satellite phone and seem to be able to upload pix ocassionally.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    After finally reading all of their daily posts (man that sever is slow) I've got a couple of observations. First this trip was ill planned. Why even mess with the Alaskan weather and lack of land based support. Skip all the customs stops and start in seattle and spend more time in the tropical regions. Why no sponsors? With as much money and time they already have invested in this excursion I would have at least hade one of the pwc manufactures sign on to have their ski's set the record.

Second, the guys are ill equiped. By looking at the pics they had to add extra fuel cans after about ten days. Their gps units have run out of batteries on one occasion. Why not tie the gps into the ski's electrical system and carry an extra pwc battery and a jumper box. Their rations are not enough. I would have picked MRE's not cup'o'noodles and fishing rods. Need the high caloric intake to keep up the pace.

They need to plan their stops better. I know if these guys were stopping anywhere near me I would go out and offer support. I would contact all the marinas and lodges and explained to to them what you were going to attempt and a time frame you would arrive, then have someone contact them again when you were about to arrive. People would turn out and help you.

They seem to have little mechanical pwc knowledge. You need to be able to diagnose water in the gas and be able to clear a weeded intake on your own. Whats up with letting low tide totally beach the crafts all the time?

Their website could be better designed. This could be a big help to them as they travel with people supporting them and could generate donations as well. The server is horrible and if some high traffic site was to link to them or they make the ap wire the site is toast.

Other than that I got to give it to them. This has to be a great adventure and if i could do it would jump at the chance. When they make it to Miami someone can probably pick up those ski's really cheap.

even thier website sucks. My wife and I would take the trip to miami and greet them. So some one let us know when they start to get close because that website is so bad I dont intend to check it too often.

+1

Halfway down Oregon!

I just read the post from these guys, they were at Bandon, Oregon
    on July 12. That's 1/2 way down Oregon! It will be wild if they pull
    this off! You would think Yamaha would be out there in force pulling
    for 'em. What a marketing coup, give 'em a couple of ski's worth of
    parts and backup, way cheaper than TV ads!

here's a Google Earth shot of the Bandon harbor (attachment)

Question - how are you guys putting pictures inline on your posts??
    I can only find the add attachment function.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information