Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil block off....good or bad???

Im thinkin about blockin off the oil injection on my 94' sl750. What are the advantages/disadvantages to doin this? It's stock now but im slowly workin on a few bolt-on mods.... Whats a good mix ratio to start with?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Lots of this info you seek is already posted if you use the search function.

Block off is good. If you ever have a oil pump problem, you will have serious damage. Usually won't know till it's too late.

Disadvantage is having to premix your fuel. NEVER let anyone else fuel your ski, like a G/F or buddy. They may not know it's premix ONLY and will fill up with straight gas.

The recommended ratio is 32:1 for breaking in pistons

And 40:1 for normal running,

Some go as low as 50:1 with synthetic oils.

I just converted my 96 SLT700 to premix. It is a little inconvience but you eliminate the possibility of a motor failure to no oil.

When I did mine I topped the tank off and premixed at 32:1. After I removed the pump and installed the block off plate I removed the lines at the carbs and put on vaccum caps. I then removed the flame arrestor and ran the motor on a hose while spraying fogging oil in the carbs. I did this for a couple of minutes and then removed the fuel water seperator. When the fuel in that was blue. I knew the premix was at the carbs. I reccomend premix.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dyemondav View Post
    ...you eliminate the possibility of a motor failure to no oil...
    Only if no-one EVER puts straight gasoline into the fuel tank, without adding the oil.

One tankful of un-mixed gasoline in a pre-mix ski will do the engine in.

Never, ever have I been let down by a properly maintained oil injection system on a Polaris. I've seen more people put straight gas in a premix setup, or not use enough oil in a premix setup than I've seen oil injection failures. Variable ratio oil injection systems are a great thing...less smoke, less oil burned, and less messing around. With that said, some like the peace of mind of premix, but its a PITA to me. I only premix because my carbs don't work with injection.

Hey guys I am looking thru the treads about diffrent subjects on my 95 SL750 and I do enjoy the ease of having oil injection instead of premixing the the gas and oil all the time.. My question is how much does it cost to buy a new oil injection pump for for my 95 SL750 and where can I buy it from?

I figure since my jet ski's are 95's that they more than likley never had them replaced so more then likley would not hurt to replace them and never worry about it for another 10 years.. Cya Slick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    ...I do enjoy the ease of having oil injection...
    ...how much does it cost to buy a new oil injection pump for for my 95 SL750 and where can I buy it from?

I figure since my jet ski's are 95's that they more than likely never had them replaced ...would not hurt to replace them and never worry about it for another 10 years...
    I think the Fuji oil pump is no longer available new from Polaris (part# 3240237).

But there are plenty of used pumps available. Most will be similar age to yours, but may have fewer engine hours. I don't know if you can rebuild these Fuji oil pumps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    I only premix because my carbs don't work with injection.
    You can tap the barrels and install the oil valves.
    You then get a split cable from Factory Pipe that will allow you to run the carbs and oil pump.
    You now have variable oil injection and 40:1 at WOT.

This article from SBT convinced me when I was changing to a Mikuni 3 output fuel pump.

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=13962

No more worries about oil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dorf View Post
    This article from SBT convinced me when I was changing to a Mikuni 3 output fuel pump.

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=13962
    Despite the article mentioning how to remove the Polaris oil pump, it seems that most of the 2-stroke engine failures from oil pump failure were on other brands, not Polaris.

Oil lines failing or falling off is a maintenance issue, and they are not expensive to replace every few years.

From a cost perspective, the block off kit is fairly cheap to install, but you will then be burning about twice the 2-stroke oil over the years you run the machine, compared to the variable-rate oil injection system. How much does that extra oil cost over time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information