Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Holeshot/Race - my Stg 2 RXP vs 69 mph GSX??

OK, have a friend who wants to race. He has a modded GSX that runs a legit 69 mph on GPS with a modded 951 under the seat. He says the holeshot is amazing; I am sure it is. He knows I have him covered by at least 5 mph on top end (my RXP runs 75 - 76 mph on top), but he thinks he can holeshot me pretty good. He might ... I have never run against a ski like his ... Opinions?? I think I will still beat him 0 - 60, but that he will holeshot me by 5 boat lengths ... then again he might beat me to 60 too. Anybody?? My holeshot is strong, but I have no idea how strong a setup like his is.

+1
    A 69 mph GSX is going to be quick, but I doubt he will get you by more than 2-3 boat lengths out of the hole depending on the condition of your prop/wear ring. Once on plane, you should reel him in pretty quickly.

All depends on the length of the race. Your 5-7 mph faster and I'll bet your boat gets to that top speed quickly. I would think you would definitly take him on anthing over 1/4 mile, maybe less. Please post results and the length you ran.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    I have a carbon fiber GSX sitting on the trailer at the house. It's not running now but when I do have it not blowing up motors it runs about 60ish on the stock pipe and Buckshots 50's...I had it factory twin piped for a time and it would run 68ish with brutal acceleration...

I also have a stage II RXP running in the same 75-76 range with strong acceleration...and i can tell you this:

i personally think come 50-60mph he'll still be out in front if he's very good at riding. His may not be carbon fiber (which will make a considerable weight difference) but those things can get up and go in a hurry...the little 2 cylinders just spin up faster on bottom than the bigger 3's (forced induction or not) are capable of...

Now after 60 you should begin to make up ground quickly...but don;t get discouraged when he leaps on you out of the hole...

+1
    Thanks guys ... I do expect him to holeshot me. When those are setup right with aftermarket pipe(s) and motor/carb work I have heard they are very quick out of the hole. A modded RXP does well too, so it will be a fun race. I am hoping to at least reel him in by 60 mph ... hopefully! He might not be able to make it, but we are going to try to meet, hope to have results Monday.

+1
    Chris, would a 4-Tec engine fit in that CF hull?

+1
    Well we raced Sunday and the tweaked GSX beat my RXP out of the hole. We only really ran one good clean launch, and he pulled me by about 2 boat lengths per the guys watching on shore. That GSX sounds really mean and jumps out of the hole hard. We traded skis and rode each others skis too. Met a bunch of fun guys, had a great time and the race went more or less the way we had guessed it would. If we had perfectly calm water the GSX might still be a little ahead at 60 mph, but I was closing in. We knew top end would go the RXP and likely hole shot to the GSX, and it did.

The GSX has a Coffman pipe and some other mods, but not totally sure of everything done to the motor/ski. It was loud and fast, would be a great wave jumper, definitely felt lighter and more throwable than my RXP.

The guys on shore said my RXP sounded like it had a V8 in it or something ... when you are behind it and take off hard, it does sound realllly good. I let two guys ride it and just listened to it, it does sound very strong with the waterbox mod and RR thru hull.

+1
    So, how long did it take you to make up the distance he got on the holeshot?

Vern - I think you are now ready for the Nilamonster head! Pay back is a bitch. Save up (like I am) and smoke 'em!

Brendan

+1
    Frank, not totally sure of the distance, we eventually hit some rough water. I think the GSX would win a 0 - 60 mph contest, but I would start going by soon after that. The GSX had great holeshot and midrange, pulled good, but after the initial 2 boat length jump, we were dead even until I started to gain, esp after we hit rough water. But he stayed out front quite well, I only started gaining on him after we were hitting close to 60 mph. No question its a fast/quick boat ...

Brendan, I guess if this happened too often, I would throw on my A kit supercharger and 42 lb injectors. I am still running a stock SC impeller and only register 7 lbs of boostm stock ECU too. But the ski runs great, is fast and reliable, and I don't mind finally racing someone who was great competition and actually beat me out of the hole. It was a fun day even tho his boat was quicker!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information