Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 S/C slip specs

UpDated 06 S/C with steel washers. What`s the new slip spec.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    How do you do a slip test? Just aquired a torque wrench from....some....place.......errr...nevermind about that...how do aI put it to use?

Once GH's questions is answered...can someone explain how to check the slippage?

very simple..pull the sc (easier than u think it is), put some clamps/pliers around the jaws (gear) on the sc shaft, set the torque wrench to the highest torque spec, and torque the nut on the end of the shaft. it should slip, then set the wrench to the lowest torque spec and re-torque nut. it should click. that means u are within spec. just keep going and eventually ull find your slip moment. if it doesnt click on teh lowest torque spec..its time to change ur sc clutch.

+1
    Slip moment at install with the metal washers should be between 8-12 ft. lbs or 10-15 Newton meters. (I would not go above 10 ft lbs with ceramic washers). After some run time, it will decrease. Some say it will run fine with a slip moment as low as 5 ft lbs.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Pulling your clutch...is it anything like pulling your pud? Cause other wise I have no clue...

Just kiddin...so...well thsi is a shaft involved...and some ball bearings...hum...

Whats involved? Just removing the hoses, then unbolting?

Quote Originally Posted by majundecid
    Pulling your clutch...is it anything like pulling your pud? Cause other wise I have no clue...

Just kiddin...so...well thsi is a shaft involved...and some ball bearings...hum...

Whats involved? Just removing the hoses, then unbolting?
    lol

its not hard at all. disconnect j pipe from exhaust manifold and exhaust from waterbox, move waterbox back. disconnect air intake from sc, disconnect hose that goes from sc to throttle body. there are 3 bolts holding the sc to the block. the top one is the ball buster. after all 3 are out, just wiggle the sc and itll come right out.

+1
    It should slip between 11-12nm and if you need to reshim, each shim is about 2nm. Pull your intake off the S/C, pull the valve cover, put an allen wrench in the cam locking hole, using a beam T.W., check the slip moment in CW direction aft looking fwd. Have fun and you don't have to remove the S/C to do this check.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skipSC
    It should slip between 11-12nm and if you need to reshim, each shim is about 2nm. Pull your intake off the S/C, pull the valve cover, put an allen wrench in the cam locking hole, using a beam T.W., check the slip moment in CW direction aft looking fwd. Have fun and you don't have to remove the S/C to do this check.
    What is a shim? I know the term, but where would it go? where do you get them? (what do you make them out of)

Valve cover? what number is the valve cover?I'll assume that the cam locking hole will be exposed once this cover is exposed?

Here is the parts diagram...
    http://epc.brp.com/scripts/EmpartISA...&ilEG=0&ilGM=0

You don't have to pull the supercharger to check slip moment. Stick a small piece of wood in the pump assy between the vanes up to the prop. Disconnect the inlet hose to the supercharger and turn the nut on the supercharger impeller counterclockwise. It will take a couple of turns of the supercharger before the prop turns clockwise viewed from the rear and grabs the piece of wood binding the prop. Set the torque wrench at 55 inch pounds and turn counterclockwise increasing the torque continually until the wrench doesn't click. Let the clutch slip for at least two revelutions before you take the final slip reading. Then go down in torque and back up again two or three times to verify. I run the motor for 25 seconds first to make sure oil is on the clutch assy.

I just replaced all 5 spring washers and added two shims to take me from 59 inch pounds up to 98 inch pounds. Did not really notice much of a performance decrease, at least I thought, slipping at 4.9 foot pounds. Have not ran the ski yet with the slip moment currently @ 8.17 foot pounds. Mark U. told me about the wood in the pump trick. Way easier than pulling the supercharger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S
    You don't have to pull the supercharger to check slip moment. Stick a small piece of wood in the pump assy between the vanes up to the prop. Disconnect the inlet hose to the supercharger and turn the nut on the supercharger impeller counterclockwise. It will take a couple of turns of the supercharger before the prop turns clockwise viewed from the rear and grabs the piece of wood binding the prop. Set the torque wrench at 55 inch pounds and turn counterclockwise increasing the torque continually until the wrench doesn't click. Let the clutch slip for at least two revelutions before you take the final slip reading. Then go down in torque and back up again two or three times to verify. I run the motor for 25 seconds first to make sure oil is on the clutch assy.

I just replaced all 5 spring washers and added two shims to take me from 59 inch pounds up to 98 inch pounds. Did not really notice much of a performance decrease, at least I thought, slipping at 4.9 foot pounds. Have not ran the ski yet with the slip moment currently @ 8.17 foot pounds. Mark U. told me about the wood in the pump trick. Way easier than pulling the supercharger.
    Is that an 06 spec S/C with steel washer`s your talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information