Thread: help..gp1200

help..gp1200

hey, recently i bought a 1997 gp1200, i am having problems and i am starting to get very discoraged . ok so when i bought the ski the previous owner told me that the motor was rebuilt and he had only put around 4 hours on the new motor, also he told me it was winterized and i might need to use some starting fluid to get it running.. well the first thing i did was drain the fuel and oil tanks and refill them with the good stuff, i also replaced the bad batt and the fuel filter, the ski starts up on the hose and will only run if i keep it above 4grand, even at this rpm it can only run for about 30 seconds and then it stumbles and dies, after about 2 min total runing time i pulled the plugs and they were fowled and oily could this be a carburator problem? oh and i also checked the compression in the 2 cyclinders toward the rear i am geting 120psi but in the cylinder closest to the front i am only geting 105 this is my first ski and i am very excited about getting into the hobbie but i am starting to loose sleep over my problems. any help would be greatly appriciated i just need confidence that i will be able to get this thing together

RESPECT
    +1
    Welcome to the forums! You should get alot of good info from this site.
    I just bought my first ski about 3 months ago and I still dont have it running at 100% but its fun once you start to get into it.
    I dont think that its a good thing that the comp is that different but someone should be able to give you an idea or 2.

sounds like the carbs need inspection! and don't force it to run !! and carefull with using the hose on a ski that doesn't run well! I would def check popoff to see if the needle and seats are leaking

ok so im up arly today and im gonna pull the carbs thank you for your incouragment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    sounds like the carbs need inspection! and don't force it to run !! and carefull with using the hose on a ski that doesn't run well! I would def check popoff to see if the needle and seats are leaking
    +1. Also, don't be discouraged on the 105 compression reading yet. I had a low compression reading on my middle cylinder one time and it turned out the needle was stuck open flooding the cylinder with excess fuel.

Thread Information