Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Type

Oil Type

Okay...I had a problem with the little filter in the crab getting clogged up on my 01 slh. I cleaned the filter it ran fine and clogged back up. I drained the tank and cleaned it and it ran fine and clogged back up. Finally had a friend look at the filter and he said it looked like oil build up. I drained the oil reserve and cleaned and it ran fine and filter had build up on it. Then I was looking at the oil (I was using quicksilver and yes its tw-3) and realized it was synthetic blend. I bought more oil that was not synthetic and now it runs fine and no build up.

My question, is synthetic bad? and was that my build up problem?

I will post some picture of my plugs later for you guys to tell me if i am lean/rich, I cant tell.

Side question what about gas with 10% ethinol? It is currently the cheapest where I live $3.79.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you running pre-mix oil+gas, or the OEM oil injection system?

Some 2-stroke oils are designed for oil injection only, and may not mix well with gasoline.

Also, the Ethanol in regular gas is not a great choice for a Marine engine. The Ethanol absorbs moisture easily, and when it does it changes the combustion properties of the fuel.

So Ethanol mixed fuel must be used up quickly in a boat, or it can go bad, quicker than non-Ethanol fuel would.

I buy premium octane fuel for my Polaris, not so much for the higher octane, but for the zero Ethanol content (in my area).

I am using OEM oil injection

+1
    Synthetics are very good. Make sure it says for use for oil injection systems. That should be safe though. Is the bottle new or has it been sitting for some time?

I bought a gallon jug at the end of the summer last year so I guess it sat 3/4 full for 4-5 months? Is that bad?

I think I want to convert to premix. I searched and did find a guide on how to do it other than bits and pieces. Im not very mechanically inclined so i need a full step by step, with parts needed etc. anyone?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pres319 View Post
    I bought a gallon jug at the end of the summer last year so I guess it sat 3/4 full for 4-5 months? Is that bad?

I think I want to convert to premix. I searched and did find a guide on how to do it other than bits and pieces. Im not very mechanically inclined so i need a full step by step, with parts needed etc. anyone?

It should be fine if you kept it in a warmer place. I would run it through a strainer, like panty hose or a paint strainer and see if you get any clumps in there.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am using OEM oil injection
    ...had a friend look at the carb filter and he said it looked like oil build up...
    If you are running the factory oil injection system, then the 2-stroke oil is NOT going through your carb fuel filters.

The 2-stroke oil from the oil tank is filtered through an in-line filter, then the oil is pumped directly into the engine air intakes, not through the carb internals.

If you have an engine fogging system installed, THAT fogging oil does get pumped through the carbs - when you fog it.

If you have repeated episodes of gunk in the carb's internal filters, then you need to confirm that all the hoses and filters between the fuel tank and the engine are in fact clean and clear (or just replace them all).

Also check that there is no gunk sitting inside the fuel tank, or in the fuel lines inside the tank.

BTW, the Polaris oil injection system is actually quite reliable, and works well with synthetic 2-stroke oils.
    Last edited by K447; 07-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.

are you sure b/c there is a hose coming from the oil tank that connects to the carb right where the filter is inside the carb. I'll tank a picture tonight to show you.

On the Keihin carbs, the oil does go through them, but don't believe it actually goes through the strainer in each carb. It enters right into the jet block just downstream. I seriously doubt its the oil that is clogging the filters...I'd bet its either gunk from the fuel lines and or fuel/water separator.

it only has one carb and when you say jet block, isn't that right where the filter is? I maybe have my part labeled wrong?

If I'm looking at it right on the diagram the oil does mix at the jet block right before the filter. I think the filter is definantly after the oil is injected.
    Last edited by pres319; 07-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information