99 Xl 1200 Ltd Will Not Start

Engine just stopped shortly off the trailer. Will not do anything. Someone told me the starter solenoid was responsible for powering everything. I checked the power cable to the starter. It was lose so I hand tightened it and then when I het the start button, I do see the LED say "start". Nothing else. So, I put the charger cable to the starter and plugged it in, the engine will try and turn over but the charger doesn't have the power. Does that mean my starter solenoid is out?

You can jump the solenoid and see if it starts.... I'm willing to bet its the solenoid, as long as the battery is good and fully charged

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THC24 View Post
    Engine just stopped shortly off the trailer. Will not do anything. Someone told me the starter solenoid was responsible for powering everything. I checked the power cable to the starter. It was lose so I hand tightened it and then when I het the start button, I do see the LED say "start". Nothing else. So, I put the charger cable to the starter and plugged it in, the engine will try and turn over but the charger doesn't have the power. Does that mean my starter solenoid is out?
    Thats good news... just put a jumper wire across it as posted above... i think your getting close

Good News Short Lived

Replaced the solenoid, machine started right up. I am celebrating while I put the water hose to it. Ran it for a loooooooong time here at the house. Put it in the lake, took out across and the EXACT SAME THING happened. ZERO POWER AGAIN!. No way I bought a crap solenoid and it went out too????

I have heard of wires corroding up in the insulated part of the conductor... maybe when changing the solenoid you moved the cable enough to make a connection...

where do you think that could have happened? Plus, why does it run great until I get to the lake?

seams like a loose connection thats bounced loose on the water.... get a meter and see if power is getting from the battery to the solenoid (the one that was loose the first time...)

check lanyard resistance, or check to see it its pulled up all the way i had a ski come on with a split in the middle and a vibration would loosen it up

Thread Information