Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1997 GTX needs a little more kick

I have a 1997 GTX with relativley low hours in great condition. I have been riding for about 7 years and have gone through several skis. It is fun but im looking for a little more kick. Im more into the low end kick than top end speed. I have a house on Kent Island directly on the chesepeake bay and I ride almost every weekend. I have looked into it but im still unsure of were to find the best supply of aftermarket parts. Also I was unsure of what would give me the most bang for my buck. What part gives the most performance for cost? Im great with motors and tools. To sum it up... Im new and want to know where to start.

Thanks in advance,
    Tyler

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Best bang is the Skat 17-22 swirl impeller after that is a compression increase - but then it will need 93 octane if you go up to about 170 psi.

Those two together will help alot in the low end.

What is a reliable site to find that impeller and buy the parts to raise the compression?

I found the right impeller but what parts do i need to increase the compression? Do i need simply a new dome or do i need a new head and a new dome? Im a little confused...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoboarder11592 View Post
    I found the right impeller but what parts do i need to increase the compression? Do i need simply a new dome or do i need a new head and a new dome? Im a little confused...
    Some aftermarket heads have interchangeable domes. These were primarily for racing. Get one with 43cc domes. R&D makes one that just bolts in place of the stocker. And if you buy Fly flame arrestors and rejet to add to the head and prop JJ mentioned, you'll have one fun ski that gets better fuel efficiency than stock.

Welcome!

Thanks for the help. I found the part you were referring to. With the 43cc head will i still have to run 93 octane or is that with the 40cc heads?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Now that I'm not sure of. It all depends on how you are propped. The bigger the prop, the more load, and the more need for octane. I'd try running 89 first, and listen for detonation with the seat off the first time out. Detonation sonds like aluminum cans rattling super fast in a metal box.

Ok thanks. So im going to order the new impeller and the new head pretty soon. And were can I find the Fly flame arrestors? I have found the K&N brand on denniskirk.com. Do i need the Fly brand? If so were can i find it? Also i was just wondering what kind of gains exhaust systems gave? Notice R&D carried a reasonably priced one for my ski. Is it worth the money? Also are new intake grates worth the extra money? I ride on the chesepeke so when im trying to do anything im losing the water. Would it help for a smoother ride?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have no idea what im doing here. Haha

I have been reading up on rejetting as 96XPSS mentioned and I am lost. Am i going to need to do this with the new cylinder head, impeller, and flame arrestors? It seems very difficult and meticulous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information