Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will using a battery booster pack blow the ignition controller?

I'm working on a 99 SLT 700. The owner said the battery was dead, so he used his battery booster pack to try and start it, and after a couple of seconds, the controll box started smoking. I opened it up to fing the ignition controller had blown a hole throgh the top i could fit my finger in. I know on some sensitive electronics in the automobile world, introducing a foreign charging source can damage electrical components. I'm not to experienced with Polaris watercraft so i'm hoping someone can help me out a bit.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    First rule with most Watercraft...Do not use anything but a fully charged battery to try and start with. Sounds like he's looking for some new components now. Got a picture of what went Bang? Was it the CDI or Voltage reg.He may have also damaged more then you know right now.
    P.S. Welcome to the Hulk

+1
    When you let the smoke out of an electronic component you will never get all the smoke back in.

It was the CDI. Just wondering if it was the booster pack or maybee something else that happened coincidently at the same time like the stator. The owner also complained that sometimes his push start button would not work, and sometimes you could pull the lanyard and it would stay running. Just occasionally. There's electrical demons hovering around this ski i think!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shelby427uk View Post
    ...he used his battery booster pack to try and start it, and after a couple of seconds, the control box started smoking...
    Would that booster pack have been a wall powered device, or just another battery with two booster cables?

My guess is that he connected the booster backwards, and the reverse polarity had its way with multiple devices in there.

The voltage regular would also take a beating to with reverse polarity, so be sure to check or replace it.

And then you need to fix whatever was the original problem with that start switch and lanyard...

+1
    That's exactly how I think the hole wound up in the CDI, crossed cables... and of course nobody ever admits it.
    There's nothing wrong with using a jumper pack, I and other dealers/techs have been doing it since Polaris introduced their first watercraft with no ill affects. Make sure the connection is quick and solid, just as you should when installing the battery. I use a jumperpack that allows you to make the hook up and then throw a switch.
    Look at it like this, you just removed the old weak battery and installed a new battery in its place. You should let the jumper sit for a few minutes before trying to start the watercraft.
    Of course this is only my opinion but I can state I've NEVER ruined any electrical component with a jumperpack.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    When you let the smoke out of an electronic component you will never get all the smoke back in.
    Hehehehe how'd I see that commin ever have a cap explode while working on something... as for the Booster pack I've never needed it, I use both a Mobile battery charger and a battery tender never have a dry cell LOL

WHatever is the reason for why it happened, I think i'd be better off buying the whole ignition update kit. I doubt it was a reverse polarity issue, it's really hard to miss the big red cover on the positive side, and the owner does not seem to be a dumb ass. I could be wrong of course. I'm leaning more towards a short in the stator windings. Where is the best and cherapest place to get an update kit P/N 2873022? I looked online and Babbits list the part number for $209. That seems cheap, and the item description just says " Stator" so i'm assumiong it's not the whole kit. I thought that number had to be for the kit???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shelby427uk View Post
    ...I think i'd be better off buying the whole ignition update kit.
    That does seem reasonable.

I doubt it was a reverse polarity issue, it's really hard to miss the big red cover on the positive side, and the owner does not seem to be a dumb ass. I could be wrong of course.
    I'm leaning more towards a short in the stator windings.
    Unless the start button was pressed, even if all the stator coils were shorted, there would still be no current flow from a properly connected battery. For DC current, all the coils normally look like close to dead shorts when the engine is not running.
    Even the battery charging coil is low ohms, but the diode in the regulator prevents the current from flowing, unless the battery polarity is reversed, or the regulator itself is shorted internally.
    So be careful regarding that regulator. You might consider replacing it anyway, since you don't want a repeat smoke performance with the new stator installed

Where is the best and cheapest place to get an update kit P/N 2873022? I looked online and Babbits list the part number for $209.
    That seems cheap, and the item description just says " Stator" so I'm assuming it's not the whole kit.
    I thought that number had to be for the kit???
    If you have the correct part number for the update kit, then that is what Babbitts should ship to you.

+1
    Polaris Industries description
    2873022 KIT-2 CYL PWC IGN UPDATE KIT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information