Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RESPECT
    +1

Which Octane do you run?

I've been running 87 oct in my 2001 gp1200r. Will it make a difference if I run 89 or 93?
    Well I got my ski up to 61 today but it was only throwing out about 6900 rpms. Do you think that is fine. I will take it out of the water and get the compression checked as soon as I can find someone to help me take it out of the water.

Moderated
    you only really need high octane if you have high compression as the octane helps the fuel resist ignition under compression.

the rule of thumb is 150 psi head compression and over requires 93 octane rated fuel.

there are some great threads on this subject, just use the search function and all will be answered.

so far Ive looked at a few threads about this but:
    I just recently put in a full tank of 89 octane suggested by another member to thwart off any detonation that may occur when going WOT. So ok, I filler her up. went jumping waves last weekend and I thought ski felt kinda lazy a bit, but I`m new to wave jumping with the GPR and throttle timing is everything.
    anyways i just recently read somewhere`s else that 89 burns to slow in a stock ski and to keep 87 in the fuel tank...
    question is i still have a full tank of 89, will adversely affect my stock gp1300r?...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    so far Ive looked at a few threads about this but:
    I just recently put in a full tank of 89 octane suggested by another member to thwart off any detonation that may occur when going WOT. So ok, I filler her up. went jumping waves last weekend and I thought ski felt kinda lazy a bit, but I`m new to wave jumping with the GPR and throttle timing is everything.
    anyways i just recently read somewhere`s else that 89 burns to slow in a stock ski and to keep 87 in the fuel tank...
    question is i still have a full tank of 89, will adversely affect my stock gp1300r?...
    I can't imagine that you could actually feel or see the difference between 87 and 89 octane. 87 may give you 10 or 20 more rpm on top due to your low compression but seriously doubt it would be something you could feel.

In all of my boats I try to run BP premium just for the fact its a good clean fuel. If I loose a little performance due to lower compression oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I can't imagine that you could actually feel or see the difference between 87 and 89 octane. 87 may give you 10 or 20 more rpm on top due to your low compression but seriously doubt it would be something you could feel.

In all of my boats I try to run BP premium just for the fact its a good clean fuel. If I loose a little performance due to lower compression oh well.
    Hi Duke, not really saying the octane is causing something, just noting that ski felt a bit lazier than usual, but that most likely is from my attempt at wave jumping against the current/waves, know what I mean, never really felt a delay in taking off before that ride... I`m sure things are fine. I usually almost never ride at the red line anyways...thanks...

Figured I'd bump an old thread instead of creating a new one. I've been doing lots of searching, but I haven't found an answer to my question...

I'm getting the OEM head on my 2001 GP1200R milled to 150psi. People say that this setup will require 93 octane fuel. But I'm in California, and we only have 91 octane at the pumps. Am I screwed here? Or can I run octane booster in each tank? Or is 91 octane in California equal to 93 octane in other states (someone told me this was the case, but I'm not so sure).

Thanks for any help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

you still runnin BP after this whole oil spill mess?

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    you still runnin BP after this whole oil spill mess?
    BP is an ally country......Would you run CITCO?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    Figured I'd bump an old thread instead of creating a new one. I've been doing lots of searching, but I haven't found an answer to my question...

I'm getting the OEM head on my 2001 GP1200R milled to 150psi. People say that this setup will require 93 octane fuel. But I'm in California, and we only have 91 octane at the pumps. Am I screwed here? Or can I run octane booster in each tank? Or is 91 octane in California equal to 93 octane in other states (someone told me this was the case, but I'm not so sure).

Thanks for any help!
    I have this same exact question!!!! I'm gonna send my head and palte off soon to be milled and Living in california i know i can find race fuel if need be but 91 is all we have. I can answer that our 91 is not equal to 92 or 93 elseware its 91.... However I dont want to blow my motor because i used 91 oposed to 92/93. I already have been running 91 in my stock ski i guess ill switch to 87 until i get the heads done.

Maybe Bill can chime in on this one i would bet he has an answer for us, seeing as he seems to be the big guy in the ski world in our state...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information