+1

Leanrunnaway on Trailer???? Need Advice??

Ok All,
    Here is what is happening. When I am at idle and hit the throttle it feels like it wants to go on its nose then it takes off and runs very well. When I get it on the trailer and crank it over it revs like a mofo. So, I grab the throttle and it stops.
    Tonight I pulled the exhaust and the carbs and have them on the bench. What should I do next. I have a feeling it is something in the carbs or may be an air leak. The carbs I am pretty handy with but when it comes to finding an air leak I am a little lost. I heard you can do a leakdown test?
    I just need some advice, could it just be a stuck needle in the carbs or something not seating right??

+1
    It is definetly a lean condition, either from an airleak or the carbs. The reason it noses over and does not runaway in the water is because the motor is under a load and almost dies. On the trailer its not under a load and this is allowing for the lean condition to runaway instead of nosing over.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    sorry not to hijack your thread, but this kind of has to go with it..

is there any way that you can tell with your carbs off if your carbs are in good condition, like make sure there are all working, make sure they are all you know running good?

+1
    Double check all your intake and carb gaskets.

Sounds like the low speed circut is too lean. Try backing the low speed adjusters out or maybe switch to 115 pilots. Thats what I run in my nonported 1200.

+1
    Ok All,
    Here is what is happening. When I am at idle and hit the throttle it feels like it wants to go on its nose then it takes off and runs very well. When I get it on the trailer and crank it over it revs like a mofo. So, I grab the throttle and it stops.
    Tonight I pulled the exhaust and the carbs and have them on the bench. What should I do next. I have a feeling it is something in the carbs or may be an air leak. The carbs I am pretty handy with but when it comes to finding an air leak I am a little lost. I heard you can do a leakdown test? Yes on the motor
    I just need some advice, could it just be a stuck needle in the carbs or something not seating right??

I would do a leak down on the motor. what did the gasket look like between the carbs and reed plate?

def check the gaskets like bill said. he is a real help and very knowledgable guy. he has been a huge help to me. I would also do a simple check on the carbs, def check the high and low screws and holes for debris, check your check valves for creases, make sure your need and seat have no debris and have no knicks, then check the needle and spring arm to be level with the carb, and then just make sure there are no cuts in he orings and gaskets. your run away might just be as simple as maybe debris clogged the low speed. But I do agree with bill sounds like a air leak carb side.
    Last edited by krispaintballz; 07-11-2008 at 09:02 AM.

+1
    Next time you have that carb rack out, I would also fill the balancing channels. It helps with carb signal and help minimize some of the places to get possible air leaks on the manifold side. check your gaskets well, don't reuse the sponge manifold gasket it if looks too used and check those carb base gaskets.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=carb+manifold
    Yamaha designed the GPR well and supplied each carb with a pulse line. by filling in the channel, basically carb signal is increased as each carb is rendering to the signal from that cylinder.

again, check 'all' those gaskets...

ditto on the above also from the other peeps
    Last edited by RX951; 07-11-2008 at 09:14 AM.

+1

Tahnks Guys

Ok I will check carbs and gaskets thanks everyone for your advice. I will keep you posted. I hope it is just a gasket.

Thread Information