Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Impeller/change over question for slx

Have changed impeller and ring for my seadoo XP.

Would like to change the prop in the SLX but not familiar.

What is a good bottom end, and a good top end pitch to get?

What is involved in doing the changeover?

Is it the same as the seadoo in terms of actually doing it?

Does the slx have a wear ring?

Has anyone tried the wetwolf adjust a thrust?

And last, where to buy and which brand.

Thanks in advance

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Have changed impeller and ring for my seadoo XP.

Would like to change the prop in the SLX but not familiar.

What is a good bottom end (Skat), and a good top end (NuJet) pitch to get? Tough to get both in one unless you do some modding...which takes some know how.

What is involved in doing the changeover? Pull the pump off, remove impeller off from stator and exchange them out...put back together.

Is it the same as the seadoo in terms of actually doing it? Don't know...never worked on one.

Does the slx have a wear ring? Yes...depending on year, it's either part of the pump housing attached to the the hull or it's a seperate piece that comes off when you take the pump off. What year and model is your slx?

Has anyone tried the wetwolf adjust a thrust? Yes, improves out of the hole, adds acceleration and a tad bit more speed on top end...very good product.

And last, where to buy and which brand. Personally I'd go for the NuJet as it can be made to be pretty good out of the hole. The Skat takes more to get it equal to a NuJet for acceleration and top end speed. You can get a NuJet right from NuJet or you can buy the Polaris OEM impeller which is made by NuJet.

Thanks in advance
    Good luck!

+1
    What is a good bottom end (Skat), and a good top end (NuJet) pitch to get? Tough to get both in one unless you do some modding...which takes some know how. Sorry, I was considering two. One for top speed/distance/trips, one for wave sprinting.

What is involved in doing the changeover? Pull the pump off, remove impeller off from stator and exchange them out...put back together.
    Is there anything tricky about it, or straight forward?

Does the slx have a wear ring? Yes...depending on year, it's either part of the pump housing attached to the the hull or it's a seperate piece that comes off when you take the pump off. What year and model is your slx?
    It is a 1999 SLX 1050. The pump looks long if I'm reading correctly about long and short pumps. I had to work hard at getting the one out of the XP. Is it the same for the slx? And when I read sl (all) in sales listings, does this mean slx is included, as I rarely see adds for slx specific.

Has anyone tried the wetwolf adjust a thrust? Yes, improves out of the hole, adds acceleration and a tad bit more speed on top end...very good product. Would this be with a specific impeller? can anyone install this device?

And last, where to buy and which brand. Personally I'd go for the NuJet as it can be made to be pretty good out of the hole. The Skat takes more to get it equal to a NuJet for acceleration and top end speed. You can get a NuJet right from NuJet or you can buy the Polaris OEM impeller which is made by NuJet. If I recall seeing, aren't the Nujets considerably less expensive than other leading brands? Where are they made? Are they as reliable?

TY ,)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is a good bottom end (Skat), and a good top end (NuJet) pitch to get? Tough to get both in one unless you do some modding...which takes some know how. Sorry, I was considering two. One for top speed/distance/trips, one for wave sprinting.
    If you plan on swapping impellers with any frequency, then get a second pump stator and stub shaft, and leave the impellers mounted on their own stators.
    For rough water and jumping, and 8 vane stator would be a good match for the Skat.
    Then when you want to swap impellers, you just undo the four long bolts, set aside the exit nozzle, swap the impeller+stator, and bolt it back together.

Is there anything tricky about it, or straight forward?
    To remove the impeller from the stator, you must remove the tail cone, then apply in excess of 100ft-lbs torque to the impeller tool to unscrew the impeller. Then apply Locktite, and re-torque the new impeller to 100ft-lbs.
    Much easier to just leave each impeller mounted on its own stator!

Does the slx have a wear ring? Yes...depending on year, it's either part of the pump housing attached to the the hull or it's a separate piece that comes off when you take the pump off. What year and model is your slx?
    It is a 1999 SLX 1050. The pump looks long if I'm reading correctly about long and short pumps.
    I think all SLX had the extended pump, so your wear ring is a stainless steel tube section that is 4 inches long.
    I had to work hard at getting the one out of the XP. Is it the same for the slx?
    And when I read sl (all) in sales listings, does this mean slx is included, as I rarely see adds for slx specific.
    For impellers, the match is more to the engine size than to the hull or pump length.

Has anyone tried the wetwolf adjust a thrust? Yes, improves out of the hole, adds acceleration and a tad bit more speed on top end...very good product. Would this be with a specific impeller? can anyone install this device?
    Yes, it is easy to install. Since it bolts to the stator, I suggest getting one for each stator.

And last, where to buy and which brand. Personally I'd go for the NuJet as it can be made to be pretty good out of the hole. The Skat takes more to get it equal to a NuJet for acceleration and top end speed. You can get a NuJet right from NuJet or you can buy the Polaris OEM impeller which is made by NuJet. If I recall seeing, aren't the Nujets considerably less expensive than other leading brands? Where are they made? Are they as reliable?

TY ,)
    Say, did you receive the MSX 140 decal mapping papers I mailed to you?
    I included a CD with photos of the MSX 140 with the papers stuck on it.

+1

Question

This has been great help guys, and thanks.

One last help question here:

I want to get an aquastep for the slx, but don't see a listing.

Below are the two options for placing an order, but I don't see slx specific. Is there another model that is the same out of these options? Is an SL 1050 the same as the SLX 1050?

This fits
    • SL 650 (All Years)
    • SL 750 (All years)
    • SL 700 (1996 - 99)
    • SL 780 (1996 - 99)
    • SL 900 (1996-99)
    • SL 1050 (1996-99)
    • SLT 750 (1994)
    -----

This fits
    • 1996 Polaris SL 700
    • 1997 Polaris SL 700
    • 1998 Polaris SL 700
    • 1999 Polaris SL 700
    • 1996 polaris SL 750
    • All years Polaris Hurricane

+1
    ...I want to get an aquastep for the SLX, but don't see a listing.

Below are the two options for placing an order, but I don't see slx specific.
    Is there another model that is the same out of these options?
    Is an SL 1050 the same as the SLX 1050?
    As far as I know, the X version of any Polaris is the same hull as the non-X version, but has a higher performance engine, and the extended jet pump (and normally also an extended ride plate).

So the SL and SLX hulls have the same rear profile (for the same model year), but the SLX pump assembly will stick out the back farther. Since the Aqua-step needs to swing down and clear the pump nozzle, that may be an issue.

I have not seen the Aqua-step that is made for the SL hulls, so I do not know it it would also clear the longer SLX jet pump.

This fits
    • SL 650 (All Years) sold in 1992-1995 only
    • SL 750 (All years) sold in 1993-1995 only
    • SL 700 (1996 - 99) sold in 1996-1997 only
    • SL 780 (1996 - 99) sold in 1996-1997 only
    • SL 900 (1996-99) sold in 1996-1997 only
    • SL 1050 (1996-99) sold in 1997 only
    • SLXH 1050 sold in 1998 only
    • SLX 1050 sold in 1999 only
    • SLT 750 (1994) sold in 1994-1995 only
    Those year listings your posted are a bit odd, since some of the models were not sold in some of the years you listed
    -----

This fits
    • 1996 Polaris SL 700
    • 1997 Polaris SL 700
    • 1998 Polaris SL 700
    • 1999 Polaris SL 700
    • 1996 polaris SL 750
    • All years Polaris Hurricane
    • The Aqua-Step is made by Aqua Perfromance.
    • I think you need the 1096SL9 model, which I think would fit your SLX hull. The same step, with a different hull adapter bracket, fits my Virage TXi, which does have the extended pump.
    So I think you should be OK with the 1096SL9 Aquastep.
    Last edited by K447; 07-11-2008 at 07:40 PM.

+1
    Well, impulse shopper I tend to be at times, ordered it late last night.
    I'll have a try at it when it shows up, and if all fails, will sell it off.

I was at A&D Performance and now anticipating the arrival of the Adjust a thrust and a Newjet impeller.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

prop

the 99 slx came with a nu-jet 7.0 from the factory.good top end prop can be worked for better low end hookup.think you'll find the adjust a thrust a little much to run with it on a stock nozzle,work the prop and bore the nozzle to 85mm and run the aat.
    Last edited by TxVirageTx; 07-12-2008 at 10:06 PM.

+1
    Re: the 99 slx came with a nu-jet 7.0 from the factory.good top end prop can be worked for better low end hookup.think you'll find the adjust a thrust a little much to run with it on a stock nozzle,have jetskimn work the prop and bore the nozzle to 85mm and run the aat.

I wish this kind of information was posted along with the product descriptions.
    They never give enough technical info, but just enough to make the sale so to speak. But I'll deal with it.

Nujet advertises on the chart from their site that bone stock selection should be a PL-A6.5/PL-A7.0, and the PL-A7.0 for limited and modified.
    And when I looked up Skat and Solas, couldn't find a listing that clearly stated my model, whereby listing others and leaving it to me to try and do the cross reference of a ski that is new to me at present. Then seeing the impeller tool being listed for all the other models accept the Polaris. So having to do more research yet.

----

On the wetwolf site, advert for the adjust a thrust states:
    The Adjust-A-Thrust is simple to install and easy to tune. Installation on most models takes less than an hour. Initial tuning takes half an hour at your favorite lake.
    ------------------

At ad-discountperformance, they state:

Wet Wolf Self Adjusting pump Cones Adjust a Thrust for All 94-04 Polaris PWC. (except Octane, Pro 785, Pro1200), fits all MSX, Matrix, Pro785, Pro1200 with long driveshaft (not stock)

POL1A - All 94-04 Polaris PWC. (except Octane, Pro 785, Pro1200), fits all MSX, Matrix, Pro785, Pro1200 with long driveshaft (not stock). Gain .8 to 1.5 on most Polaris hulls. If you are a little underpropped on your Polaris you can gain even more. The Adjust-A-Thrust also gives a noticeable increase in hook-up in the chop. This unit is designed for craft with a 4 to 6 degree wedge
    Fits
    • All 94-04 Polaris PWC. (except Octane, Pro 785, Pro1200),
    • fits all MSX, Matrix, Pro785, Pro1200 with long driveshaft (not stock).

re:
    jetskimn work the prop and bore the nozzle to 85mm and run the aat.

Not sure who jetskimn is. Can you send a link?
    Instead of borring the nozzle, can you suggest an after market off the shelf one that would work well with or without the adjust-a-thrust?

Many thanks

Peter

+1
    JetskiMN is a member here on GreenHulk.

Just use PM to contact him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information