Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need advice on engine repair, please help!

Hey all,

Here's the story. I bought a used '03 GTX SC in January of last year at a local dealership. After my friend got an '07 GTX (non-SC) and was topping out at around 60mph I began to think it was strange I was topping out at about 45mph). Reading on the forum I quickly discovered it was probably an issue with my SC. So... that brings me to today.

Today a friend helped me remove the SC and it was immediately obvious that someone else had worked on it. The back hex bolt was pretty beat up. When we got the SC off it was apparent that something wasn't right. The clutch gear was loose on the shaft and could be moved up and down about a 1/2" (pictures attached). In addition, the nut at the top of the clutch shaft was pretty loose and only on a few turns.

Worried, we stuck our fingers in the hole the SC clutch goes into (arrow on attached image from SC How-To) and felt what I'm thinking is probably the gear the SC clutch engages with. We could feel that the gear's teeth were rough and it felt as though there was a channel running down the middle of the gear.

My question is, what do I do now? Will I need to have the gear that engages the clutch replaced? Will that require the engine to be pulled? Any suggestions or estimates on what kind of repair $$ I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
    Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080710_0001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	82415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080710_0002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	82416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080710_0004.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	82417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080710_0007.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	82418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20080710_0011.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	82419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC hole.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	82420  

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    My suggestion would be to send that SC to Jerry Gaddis (Site Admin) and let him totally rebuild it. I doubt the gear is really messed up or you would know it. Run the ski and one of two things will happen. No problems or the engine will lock up due to washer injestion. If the ceramics are floating around they have already done serious damage since they have probably been in there for a while.

My ski is an '03 so it doesn't have the ceramic washers. I'm guessing someone either took out the supercharger because it wasn't working and then put it back together wrong or intentionally put it back together wrong because of some other problem.

I'm quite worried that the loose SC clutch gear has done damage to the gear it normally engages. I don't know if the gear in question is supposed to have the channel running down the middle (I'm hoping so) but I'm pretty sure the teeth shouldn't feel rough. Can anyone advise?
    Last edited by iolaus; 07-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

the gear that drives the supper charger will feel like it is grooved cause the back side catches the starter clutch and the front side catches the supercharger.
    I would go ahead and pull the motor out and check the front and rear oil pumps. The SC looks like it has been upgraded to a new style shaft. so if the previous sc had ceramics make sure they didn't go thru the motor and ruin something.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by iolaus View Post
    Hey all,

Here's the story. I bought a used '03 GTX SC in January of last year at a local dealership. After my friend got an '07 GTX (non-SC) and was topping out at around 60mph I began to think it was strange I was topping out at about 45mph). Reading on the forum I quickly discovered it was probably an issue with my SC. So... that brings me to today.

Today a friend helped me remove the SC and it was immediately obvious that someone else had worked on it. The back hex bolt was pretty beat up. When we got the SC off it was apparent that something wasn't right. The clutch gear was loose on the shaft and could be moved up and down about a 1/2" (pictures attached). In addition, the nut at the top of the clutch shaft was pretty loose and only on a few turns.

Worried, we stuck our fingers in the hole the SC clutch goes into (arrow on attached image from SC How-To) and felt what I'm thinking is probably the gear the SC clutch engages with. We could feel that the gear's teeth were rough and it felt as though there was a channel running down the middle of the gear.

My question is, what do I do now? Will I need to have the gear that engages the clutch replaced? Will that require the engine to be pulled? Any suggestions or estimates on what kind of repair $$ I'm looking at would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
    Ryan
    The supercharger is the least of your problems. All the parts that are missing from your superchager are now in the bottom of your PTO housing and in your scavange pump screen.

This means it time to take the engine out and apart to clean all the junk out and check both oil pumps

+1
    What Nils Said What Is Your Location? Maybe Someone Can Help You.todd

+1
    [quote=Turbo Todd;713307What Is Your Location? [/quote]

i BET hes located in his house about now!!!!!!!!!!!

Something similar happened to me two weeks before mudbug. My whole shaft snapped off, due to a bad supercharger that A FORUM MEMBER SOLD TO ME WITH 6 SPRING WASHERS!! I had to pull the motor out, pull the PTO off, split the cases, and replace the damaged cam chain. It took me about $1900 to get it back up and running, but with the help of Water4fire, sundance,and a couple of others, we had the whole procedure done and the ski back on the water in 9 days. If you have any questions about how to do it, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help out in any way possible!

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you guys know there are parts missing from the SC clutch? Are you sure there were ever ceramic washers? Isn't it possible that whoever put it together just didn't do a good job and the nut slipped, thus allowing everything to move on the shaft? The pictures are just as I found the SC and the top nut is only on by a few turns at most. It is just a hair away from coming off completely.
    Last edited by iolaus; 07-11-2008 at 07:55 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iolaus View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you guys know there are parts missing from the SC clutch? Are you sure there were ever ceramic washers? Isn't it possible that whoever put it together just didn't do a good job and the nut slipped, thus allowing everything to move on the shaft? The pictures are just as I found the SC and the top nut is only on by a few turns at most. It is just a hair away from coming off completely.
    I'm voting "denial" on this one....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information