Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm getting fed up. HELP WITH MY XPL.

I've got a 98 XPL. I've done everything I could find to increase RPM's. It was only turning 6000. Cleaned carbs, replaced fuel lines, spark plugs, cleaned raves, checked vacuum solenoid. Put it in the water. It turns 6500rpms.

The waterbox Rave valve cap came off while riding. I could it within a couple minutes. Put it back on, it will now only turn 6000RPMS again. I thought it was a coincidence and it had just picked up trash in the tank again because I didn't flush it. I took it out of the water, cleaned the tank, pick up, carbs again, checked for exhaust leaks (didn't find any). Put it back in the water and still only getting 6000rpms. I took took the springs out of the cylinder RAVE valves and it will go to 6500-6600rpms.

What could be my problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by JBradshaw00 View Post
    checked vacuum solenoid.
    Its a pressure Solenoid. Did you check the check valve that comes from the crancase to the Solenoid. it should flow out to the Solenoid. To check to see if the raves are the problem take off the caps(dont drop the springs) and run the boat it will accelerate slow but the rpm should be there. If not check the throttle cable switch. It may be causeing the MPEM not to switch timing curves for WFO or partial.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    Its a pressure Solenoid. Did you check the check valve that comes from the crancase to the Solenoid. it should flow out to the Solenoid. To check to see if the raves are the problem take off the caps(dont drop the springs) and run the boat it will accelerate slow but the rpm should be there. If not check the throttle cable switch. It may be causeing the MPEM not to switch timing curves for WFO or partial.
    98's dont have a TPS switch.

I am wrong the 98 didnt have a switch on the throttle cable

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I checked it the first time I was only getting 6000rpms. It was good, it clicked with 12v's.

After that go round I was still only getting 6500rpms with the cleaned carbs and all.

Now, the RAVE cap fell off on the waterbox rave and it's back to 6000rpms. I haven't checked that pressure switch this time.

Although today I did take the springs out of the RAVE'S on the engine and it went to 6500 rpms.

Could that switch have went bad? Bad vacuum source? When I had the carbs off I checked to make sure that vacuum line was hooked up good.

+1
    Yes it is a rave problem if it runs good with the springs out.

The check valve is probally flowing both ways,it should only flow one way

Other things are clogged lines,bad solenoid,bad signal to solenoid,split hose,etc

It's still only turning 6500rpms when the springs are out. Wheres my other 500rpms?

+1
    have you checked the waterbox rave? the clamps are known to put holes in the bellows causing water leaks. if the bellows is damaged at all, replace it. it will leak under the higher water pressure.

the other possibility is an exhaust leak somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    have you checked the waterbox rave? the clamps are known to put holes in the bellows causing water leaks. if the bellows is damaged at all, replace it. it will leak under the higher water pressure.

the other possibility is an exhaust leak somewhere.

The inside of the waterbox RAVE is wet everytime I look at it. I'm assuming the "Bellow" is the rubber boot type thing around it?

I've looked for exhaust leaks and cant find any. But is there a good way to get to the bottom stud where the exhaust pipe bolts to the manifold?

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    i know this sounds crazy but check the exhaust hose..
    i had mine delaminate and colapse on the inside choking out the motor.
    didn't look bad, but you could feel how soft it gotta over the years.

same problem your having now. i rebuilt carbs twice,switch fuel hoses,cleaned tank,raves,everything....

nothing got me over 6200rpm
    replaced the rear exhaust hose and instantly got back up to 7000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information