Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Which hone to use?

My new rings and one piston arrived today. Yes, I went with SBT, but those are the pistons already in the motor so I thought it best to keep all things equal. Plus, this is not a performance ski, so I'm not worried about bleeding edge capability. Tomorrow night I hope to hone the cylinders and get it all put back together.

One question though......what type of hone should I use I have borrowed a stone hone from one friend, but another buddy that has rebuilt many automotive engines said he's leary of that type. However, he did think that a ball hone might not be good becuase it could catch on the ports.

So.....what's the consensus around here? Stone or ball hone?

Thanks,
    KJ

P.S. Bob (785LUGS) is the man. He sent me an alignment tool and some shims to help with my reinstallation. I have to say there are some really great folks on this forum

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I agree, Bob is the man! As well as others.
    I think the flexable ball hones are the shiznit. Worked for me.
    If Randy at Watcon.com sells it, its worth having. Check this out....

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Flex_Hone.htm

+1
    BTW I was worried about using a stone hone, and the corner of a stone snagging a port and gouging the crap out of the cylinder.

The ball hones will help round off the ports to keep the rings from snagging on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    BTW I was worried about using a stone hone, and the corner of a stone snagging a port and gouging the crap out of the cylinder.

The ball hones will help round off the ports to keep the rings from snagging on them.
    Cool, that's the info that I needed. I'll give the stone hone back to my other friend.

Now, which size hone should I use? My cylinders measure roughly 72mm, so should I use a 3" ball hone?

Thing is, I'd like to find one locally tomorrow so I can get this done this weekend. Also, I was looking on here: http://enginehones.com/hones.html and they show multiple grit sizes. So, which grit should I use. This motor is bored 1.00mm oversize, so I'm certain if these were Nikasil plated, it's long gone.

+1
    I used a 2 7/8 (73mm) x 180 grit on my standard bore 780. The 780 cylinders are not coated.

+1
    I used a 2 7/8 (73mm) x 180 grit on my standard bore 780. The 780 cylinders are not coated.
    My 780 is 1mm oversized so it measures right about 72mm. I'm not sure a 2 7/8 would give enough force against the walls.

Should I get a 2 7/8 hone or should I get a 3". A local machine shop can get me one by tomorrow morning.

KJ

+1
    The 3" should do the job.

+1
    The 3" should do the job.
    Thanks. The 3" is on the way. I hope to have this all back together tomorrow afternoon and performing the break-in on Sunday!

KJ

+1
    There are many ways to skin the same cat , what I do when I hone a bore is use the flat 3 stone hone ,but I never let the stones touch the bore, instead I wrap 320 wet/dry sand paper around the hone and flood with mineral spirits honing in a 45 crass hatch patters...the advantage of this is that you can use the grit paper that best suits your ring package...this works very nice....Im not sure of the ball hone, I always thought the balls would chamfer the ports and mess with port flow...let us know how your build goes.

+1
    I spoke w/ Jay at Atlantic about the rounding effect the ball hone has on a cylinder. I did a homebrew port job on my 780, and he recommended re-chamfering the ports (needed after porting or boring) and using the ball hone to help radius the port edges as insurance against ring snag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information