07-11-2008, 06:05 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2007
99 Xl 1200 Ltd Keeps Killing Solenoids
I Have A 99 Xl 1200 Ltd, We Just Switched The D Plate Put The Sensor On It And Got It Running Outside On The Hose...so We Decided To Take It To The Lake, As Soon As It Got Under A Load, I Mean Withing 20 Seconds The Thing Dies And None Of The Gauges Will Come On Or Anything. So We Swim It Back The Shore, Take The Electrical Box Apart And Switch Out The Solenoid With Another Solenoid And Put It All Back Together Hooked It Up On The Hose Got The Gauges To Light And Got It Running Outside Again. This Time I Gave It Alittle Gas And Held It Trying To Get It To Die Over Like It Did At The Lake The First Time. It Sounded Great So We Took It To The Lake And Did The Same Thing Again...killed Over Instantly And No Gauges Would Come Back.....do I Just Have Another Bad Solenoid Or What Else Is It? I Know Its Electrical, I Traced Wires Couldnt Find Any Cut Wires Checked Fuses, Checked Battery Connections......any Ideas??
07-11-2008, 08:39 AM #2
The solenoid should only affect the starting circuit. This is a simple switch and should be able to check it easy enough. put an ohm meter across the high power terminals and put 12V to the coil circuit it should make the switch. If it shows an open then it is bad.
07-13-2008, 12:24 PM #3
Here are the suggestions I sent in a pm if I am missing something please chime in.
Ok lets rule out some things first.
- is the battery good? I had one that would open after riding a bit and cause a similar issue. (it was new)
- have you checked all your connectors? look for corrosion on these. go through all of them up front and at the CDI box.
- Charging coil/stator good? I believe there is a test in the manual for this.
- Ground: some times this can be a big problem, check the ground wire at the starter and there is another small one that goes from the front cover to the head.
- Start / stop switch: use an ohm meter to make sure this is working the manual has a procedure for this.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By cad6002 in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 10Last Post: 05-20-2016, 06:51 PM
By stlouisramsfan in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 8Last Post: 08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
By THC24 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 12Last Post: 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM
By pauladave in forum Yamaha How To & FAQsReplies: 8Last Post: 06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
By skysurfer2010 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 14Last Post: 03-14-2007, 02:35 AM