Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gps Advice

Gps Advice

Any Recomendations For A Gps That Works When It Gets Very Wet Must Float And Be Able To Take A Vibrations And The Odd Knock Looking For A Good Piece Off Kit

Don't know if it floats, but if not just put a floatie thingy on it.

I don't think it'll ever come off. I've been using the Forerunner 201 all this year, on several differernt skis/boats. It straps on TIGHT, and has survived several drops onto concrete, been submerged a few times (while still attached to the handlebars) is easy to read, etc. It has a whole slew of different things it can measure including max speed/current speed/elevation and such. It does "map" your path, but there are no maps on the device. It'll just show you a little guy on the screen walking/running and a dotted trail showing where you've been in relation to you current location.

The COOLEST part about the ForeRunner 201 (and not the Fortrex 201 that looks identical to the ForeRunner) is the software for the PC. It plots your path on a map and includes charts and graphs of your data allowing you to see your speed/pace/elevation/etc. at any given time AND at any position on the lake. It's pretty cool to overlay the speed graph and elevation. Sometimes you can see if you've done a big jump, along with your speed and the visible location highlighted on the map. It's pretty cool! THEN after all of that, you can click a button and it imports the data into Google Earth, draws your path on the lakes/rivers and then you can click anywhere on your path and see your speed/elevation/time/lap#/etc.

The Forerunner is a fitness GPS. It's not for navigation really, but it's very cool for tracking lap times, speeds, elevation, pace, graphing mapping and plotting your path. AND IT's WAY under $100

Not my picture... but I use it in the same place on my P-X.

-=Mike G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01891.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	82501  

Looks Gr8t Where Would I Purchase Such A Beast

+1
    ebay has them. Most outdoor sports places have them also. I use the same GPS.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...201&category0=

btw, welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=forerunner +201&category0=

Yeah RX... I believe it was your post/pic from the past that lead me to get this GPS. THANKS!

Walmart had them for $80 a few months ago. Now it looks like there "limited quantity", prob. because Garmin has come out with the Forerunner 301 now. It's the same damn thing as the 201, but with a different strap, a bigger red start/stop button, and it probably uses USB now instead of just serial port.

The 301's are around $130 - $150. I'd just find a 201 for under $80 somewhere. Shoot, even a used one would be fine. My co-worker is a runner/hiker/mountain biker and has been using his for over 2 years on an almost daily basis. Still looks new and works perfect. The battery even still gets 14 hours per charge! The software is all downloadable for free from the Garmin site as long as you have a serial #.

-=Mike G.

+1
    yuppers, I love how long the battery LI lasts

If you have a 4-tec gtx or rxt, I would get a Garmin 76. Then you can buy the glove box that comes stock with a gtx limited edition and it would look stock!

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=forerunner +201&category0=

I keep seeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS Fitness Trainer
    listed...with 'Lap' info...
    Is this the one you are talking about??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    I keep seeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS Fitness Trainer
    listed...with 'Lap' info...
    Is this the one you are talking about??
    yuppers. It has software and a cable you run on our PC where it is tailored for joggers to download track/lap times on their jogging/running route. I don't use that feature of the GPS. I just have a custom display arranged to show Top Speed, Current Speed and Time of day and on long rides, I will use the waypoints feature to leave cookies. Most everyone in the Houston/Beaumont group uses this GPS

Garmin 76 cs is color
    floats
    waterproof

leaves a crumb trail to find your way back home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information