Replaced SC Washers now RXP Overheats

Could really use some help. Just replaced cermaic washers on 05 RXP with metal ones. Put all back together went about 1 mile and started to lose speed and shut down. Now it will not crank over (battery is good). Pulled supercharger off again and it spins fine. Definetly overheated but do not understand why. All hoses were hooked up after SC removal. Motor is most likely locked up. Any ideas why it overheated (never even got a temp high warning)? Really frustrated and just about ready to give up this watercraft stuff up.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    were the old washers broken? or just replaced before they broke?
    Coolant level and oil level fine?
    Pull spark plugs and see how they look, try to turn by hand,
    Did it smell hot when it stopped? I would be surprised if it heat siezed but anythings possible if the washers were broken the timing chain could have broken.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    were the old washers broken? or just replaced before they broke?
    Coolant level and oil level fine?
    Pull spark plugs and see how they look, try to turn by hand,
    Did it smell hot when it stopped? I would be surprised if it heat siezed but anythings possible if the washers were broken the timing chain could have broken.
    Coolant and oil levels were at the right levels before the ride. My son was actually the first rider and he said it was smoking after the engine stopped. There was antifreeze on some of the hoses and a little in the hull. Do not know where it came from other than the overflow. All of the coolant hoses appeared to be still pressurized. Old washers were fine 70+ hours on them, should have left alone. Was just trying to be proactive. Guess it is going to bite me in the A** since the boat ran fine before the washer job. Once I let the motor cool down it does turn over and seems to have alot of compression (can feel alot pressue out of the spark plug holes when I turn the boat over). Spark plugs were pretty white, definetly got hot. I poured some oil in the cylinders to help lube. Even with the plugs out it does not seem to turn over very fast. It did start for a few seconds after it cooled off but did not run very well.
    Guess I will be pulling the motor.

j pipe

check and make sure the two upper most clamps are not blocking the water pissers on the j-pipe

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vduzin12 View Post
    check and make sure the two upper most clamps are not blocking the water pissers on the j-pipe
    +1

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    even if they are blocked it will only overheat the exhaust and set off the warning buzzer a si take it he has closed loop so engine cools seperately my guess would be faulty thermostat or fault with water pump impeller and most likely unrelated to the supercharger repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    even if they are blocked it will only overheat the exhaust and set off the warning buzzer a si take it he has closed loop so engine cools seperately my guess would be faulty thermostat or fault with water pump impeller and most likely unrelated to the supercharger repairs.
    OK, Got it running tonight for about 10 seconds and shut it off (seemed to run good). Tried to take compression readings but I do not have the adapter for those small plugs. However, if the plugs are just sitting in the spark plug hole not screwed in, the compression will blow them out of the head.
    Tomorrow will hook up the hose and run it and monitor the ride plate to see if it gets warm. There still has to be a problem with the cooling system and maybe (have a hard time believing though) it was just a coincidence that I had this problem after the SC mod. Hopefully there is no damage to the engine as I have heard that the cylinder walls are quite thin and will probably warp pretty easy if overheated.
    Thanks for the help so far, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    SC has nothing to do with the cooling system. As long as you hooked everything back up correctly then the two are totally unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    SC has nothing to do with the cooling system. As long as you hooked everything back up correctly then the two are totally unrelated.
    I know that. That is why I am struggling with the issue in the first place. The SC removal and reinstall was a piece of cake and did not have anything to do with the cooling system. I have gone through the service manual 10 times trying find some ideas. But the fact remains that it ran cool / perfect the day before I replaced the washers. Maybe it is just a coincidence that I now have a cooling problem. Will check the water pump and replace the thermostat to be on the safe side. Was only looking for some suggestions. Thanks

Motor is toast. Pulled head and rear cylinder is scuffed and there also appears to be a rod knock (cannot wait to open up the bottom end!). Still need to figure out why it seized in the first place before I put all new parts in. Switched from a 2 stroke GTX to 4 stroke RXP because I thought they were more reliable. Damn, maybe the PWC scene is just not for me. Have riddin Snowmobiles for 20 years and never cooked one engine.
    Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Time to pull out the wallet I guess.

Thread Information