2002 virage txi question.

I am hoping to give my ski some more power and/or make it louder. I noticed two plastic muffler type things in the engine compartment and I was wondering if I could remove those and put some pipe in their place. would this do anything? and where is a good place to get aftermarket parts for my model? I can't find anything on the internet!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
    I am hoping to give my ski some more power and/or make it louder.
    I noticed two plastic muffler type things in the engine compartment (there are three) and I was wondering if I could remove those and put some pipe in their place. would this do anything?

and where is a good place to get aftermarket parts for my model?
    I can't find anything on the Internet!
    The Ficht fuel injection system on the Polaris engines is a fixed system. You can not alter the engine breathing or power without messing up the combustion parameters, which you can not adjust.

Simply put, enjoy it as it was built!

Louder exhaust!
    Personal opinion, for sure, but I find the Virage already plenty loud, louder than my MSX 140. In fact, I was thinking about ways to make my 2002 Virage TXi quieter.

If you need to draw attention to yourself, do the PWC community a favor and do it on land, not on the water.

PWC riders already face many restrictions regarding where they can ride, and noisy machines is one of the reasons people use to justify those restrictions.

Just like cars, anyone can make theirs louder. Louder does not 'sound more powerful', it just sounds louder, which we all know is cheap and easy to do.

Loud really does not impress anyone, it just annoys people.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Ficht fuel injection system on the Polaris engines is a fixed system. You can not alter the engine breathing or power without messing up the combustion parameters, which you can not adjust.

Simply put, enjoy it as it was built!

Louder exhaust!
    Personal opinion, for sure, but I find the Virage already plenty loud, louder than my MSX 140. In fact, I was thinking about ways to make my 2002 Virage TXi quieter.

If you need to draw attention to yourself, do the PWC community a favor and do it on land, not on the water.

PWC riders already face many restrictions regarding where they can ride, and noisy machines is one of the reasons people use to justify those restrictions.

Just like cars, anyone can make theirs louder. Louder does not 'sound more powerful', it just sounds louder, which we all know is cheap and easy to do.

Loud really does not impress anyone, it just annoys people.

I am annoyed by not being able to hear another pwc rider, we all have our own opinions. And truth be told, there are more louder boats near me than any pwc.

Another question, is there a way to turn the idle up? I would like to put it at 1500rpm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammy View Post
    I am annoyed by not being able to hear another PWC rider, we all have our own opinions. And truth be told, there are more louder boats near me than any PWC.
    PWC are easier to single out and ban than boats. There are a number of places that still have and allow boats (some of them loud), but no PWC anymore.

Another question, is there a way to turn the idle up?
    I would like to put it at 1500rpm
    Idle RPM is controlled electronically by the Ficht EMM computer, which controls all aspects of the engine's operation. It is fixed at 1,100RPM.

Why would you want the idle RPM higher?

I want it higher so it idles faster, it's gotta keep up with my other couch.

+1
    Ok .here is about all you can do .Either adjust the cable at the throttle bodies to increase your idle or loosen the tps and turn it against the rotation of the butterfly's and retighten it up .This will give the max idle speed

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Ok .here is about all you can do .Either adjust the cable at the throttle bodies to increase your idle or loosen the tps and turn it against the rotation of the butterfly's and retighten it up .This will give the max idle speed

Cheers

Bernie
    Bernie,

My 2002 and 2003 TPS don't seem to have any play for adjustment of rotation. They seem to be indexed by the mounting bolts, and the TPS itself is sealed into the molded body.

Also, the 2002 service manual refers to the 2002 TPS as the 'Hall Effect' version, and the 1999, 2000, 2001 TPS as having 3,000 ohm (which I imagine means it is just a potentiometer inside).

Are the 2001 and earlier TPS were mounted differently?

Photos below are my recently purchased replacement 'overmolded' TPS (which looks the same as what's on my 2004 MSX 140), and the original (I presume) TPS removed from each of my 2002 Virage TXi)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040449.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	83324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040452.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	83325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7070495.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	83327  
    Last edited by K447; 07-16-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Thread Information