Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    speedfrk3

Unhappy 2002 virage txi wont start OMG PLEASE HELP

First off...I want to say thanks for all the help you guys do, I have been searching this site all day, evening, and now into the night, your alls information is great!!! so let me tell you my problem. I bought this ski yesterday, I knew up front it had an issue, but I was banking it was minor, before I bought it, I researched here for the problem, and how I was hoping it was just a low battery. The guy I bought it from told me it had been running great, then one day he was riding it and it all of a sudden died, he got it running, brought it home and on the next occasion, did the same thing after a while of running, he took it to a local guy that he knew, compresion was great, would start easy on the trailer, when i got there, we couldn't get it running, it would crank good, almost start, then backfire, plugs where a little wet. after a short time cranking the batt. died, I was banking on it just being a low batt. On my way home with it, I passed a small polaris dealership, I droped in and asked how much to pull the codes for me, he says 25 bucks, so hey, why not....he hooks the laptop up, kicks the button, and after about 10 minutes, he still isn't getting a reading, so he plugs it in at a different location, and it starts downloading information, he shows me the laptop screen and he is confused, everything keep changing, the internal engine temp shows 91 then goes to 11000 degrees, the dead on center keeps changing also, nothing is staying the same on his laptop, numbers keep changing, he captures a few different settings, goes in and prints them out, makes some phone calls, jokes about how hot the engine is, and tells me my computer is shot, and they have a new one for 1300 bucks, but I'm lucky, they have a rebuilt one for 800, and it will have to be programmed. At this point, I'm in jetski shock!! I bring it home and get on here to try to trouble shoot it myself, I took the batt to the local autozone, the charged and tested it, it came back a good battery, I didn't put a meter on it to see it was pulling the currect amps yep, but I think it will be, cranks very strong. can you reset the computers on these things? I have read everything on here about these things, I don't want to sink a ton of money in this ski if I don't have to...please help me

speedfrk3

Hitting the sack

Late here, I hope I can get some help with this tommorow, anything you guys can tell me will be more then appretiated...thanks Guy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    First off, welcome to the Hulk!

I also have a pair of 2002 Virage TXi (although one is currently for sale).

BTW, update your Profile so we can keep track of who is where, and what they ride (or will be riding, once we get you fixed up).

You can download the Polaris Service Manual here.
    Have a look at the diagnostics sections.

Start with the basics. Since it cranks, check compression.

Does the MFI display show any warnings, anything look unusual?

Check the battery voltage when cranking. Should see 11 volts, although the specs say 9 something is just enough, anything under 11 volts makes the battery suspect.

Check for fuel pressure while cranking - should see over 20 PSI at the Schrader valve tee.

Check the voltage feeding the injectors while cranking. Should be 24ish volts. The exact number is in the manual. You should also be able to just hear the injectors clicking away as they inject fuel during cranking.

Check for spark while cranking.

If all is good so far (but no start), unplug the TPS connector (under the air intake, rear side of the engine - see photo). See if starts with the TPS unplugged.

If you have spark, fuel pressure, injector voltage and injection cycling, and good battery power, it should start.

Check the connectors on the EMM, pull them off, look for corrosion or loose wire connections.

Side note; The plastic air intake in stock form tends to cut into the air temperature sensor mounted in the base, so you should trim the plastic web back so it doesn't touch the sensor - see pictures of before and after. I trimmed one web on each post, so it wouldn't matter which way the cover got put on (although I always put it on using the the factory orientation).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7070508.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	82599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7070487.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	82600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7070488.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	82601  
    Last edited by K447; 07-12-2008 at 07:14 AM.

speedfrk3

Trouble shooting

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to trouble shoot it this am, I will let you know the result, and I will be updating my profile also....Thanks!!

speedfrk3

update

I went out and checked a couple of things, I unpluged the tps and no change, I made sure it was getting spark yesterday, and I also checked the fuel injectors, and when I say I checked them, all I did was try to hear if they where clicking, I listened when cranking, and then I unpluged them all, and I couldn't tell a difference in the sound or feel, I believe they are not injecting, what would cause this, I'm going to buy a meter today to check the amps on everything you suggested.
    Thanks
    Guy

speedfrk3

battery

I tested the battery, even during start it was pulling over 12 amps, I wasn't sure how to test the injectors for voltage, but I did unplug the 2 wire plug that goes into it, inserted my meter in the 2 holes, the reading was like 2 something without cranking, and under cranking never got over 20, would stay somewhere around 15 16, I just couldn't get a good reading it was fluctuating so much. so any suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gwl View Post
    I tested the battery, even during start it was pulling over 12 amps,
    I wasn't sure how to test the injectors for voltage, but I did unplug the 2 wire plug that goes into it, inserted my meter in the 2 holes, the reading was like 2 something without cranking, and under cranking never got over 20, would stay somewhere around 15 16, I just couldn't get a good reading it was fluctuating so much. so any suggestions?
    Be sure you are measuring VOLTS DC, not AMPS.

Have a look through the diagnostics material in the Service Manual. It doesn't cover every baby step, but there is good guidelines in there.

Wildly fluctuating injector voltage is not good.

speedfrk3

ski

I did check it in DC volts, same as I used for the battery, I have looked into the manual online, that was part of my research yesterday, I have talked to a guy here local who may take a look at it for me, I'm just going nuts at this point, but first and formost, I want to thank you for taking your time to help me figure this out, I can't say enough how much I appretiate it.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gwl View Post
    ...I have looked into the manual online...
    You can save the entire PDF file to your computer, so you don't need to download it each time.

Good luck!

Check fuel pressure

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information