Help me not freak out when in the air!!

I've only had a ski for a few months now. My thing is straight line high speed, but every once and a while, when not paying attention, i end up hitting a passing boater's wake at top speed, and occasionaly catch a lil air. It usually scares the pi$$ out of me cause i'm not sure if i should stand up, lean forward, let off the gass completely, etc. I always feel like i'm gonna fall off the back of the ski when i land. Although it's a fantastic hull, it doesn't help that this year XP isn't very stable. Any tips to help out my pu$$y un-experienced self?? Everyone looks so secure when catching air, help me get in control and not flip my ski, or die!! lol

Standing up when taking on a big wake is the best way to keep things in check. I always stand up but like everything you get better as you get the experience. Try to feel the wave out, by that what I mean is when approaching the wake feel for the low spot before climbing it. Once you think you've found the swell (shallowest part of the wave) hit the throttle to give you the launching power. Keep in mind when you leave the water, let off the throttle right away, full throttle with no coolant being pumped and no load against the engine could blow it up. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Even in just mild chop and no jumping, I will still let off when catching a bit too much of air under the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Standing up when taking on a big wake is the best way to keep things in check. I always stand up but like everything you get better as you get the experience. Try to feel the wave out, by that what I mean is when approaching the wake feel for the low spot before climbing it. Once you think you've found the swell (shallowest part of the wave) hit the throttle to give you the launching power. Keep in mind when you leave the water, let off the throttle right away, full throttle with no coolant being pumped and no load against the engine could blow it up. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Even in just mild chop and no jumping, I will still let off when catching a bit too much of air under the hull.

Thanks!! I'm assuming i wanna remain standing for the landing too so i don't get too beat up, lol.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    when you are standing on the back like most x-4 hull riders do. the ski has a tendency to stand straight up in mid air. I usually either, depending how far out of the water i am, either extend legs all the way or sit down on the back of the ski right before it hits the water again.
    dont hit the wake full throttle either,as mentioned above. aproach slow, like 10-15mph and when you feel the front of the ski go down in the swell and start to come back up the swell, hit the throttle and you will fly! literally! depending on the size of the wake. I usually try to find the boats no smaller than 30ft. they put out the perfect wake at half throttle

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    when you are standing on the back like most x-4 hull riders do. the ski has a tendency to stand straight up in mid air. I usually either, depending how far out of the water i am, either extend legs all the way or sit down on the back of the ski right before it hits the water again.
    dont hit the wake full throttle either,as mentioned above. aproach slow, like 10-15mph and when you feel the front of the ski go down in the swell and start to come back up the swell, hit the throttle and you will fly! literally! depending on the size of the wake. I usually try to find the boats no smaller than 30ft. they put out the perfect wake at half throttle

Great Thanks!!! I'll try today when i go out!!

Yeah i'm tall, so i sit legs forward stretched out, and butt about two thirds back on the seat.

+1
    stand up and allow your knees to act as shock absorbers and youll be fine

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post

deckboats cruising around 25 make nice fat wakes

We tried this out with a friend's 38ft Searay cruiser with twin diesels, it created about 6ft wakes.

Quote Originally Posted by verado929 View Post
    stand up and allow your knees to act as shock absorbers and youll be fine

Yep!! I landed sitting once, and swore i felt every bone in my body jar!!!!

Thread Information