Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 xp just beeps and won't won't turn over

I can hear the pump prime but the starter won't engage. I see all four lights on the instrument panel light up.

I've been able to get the starter to engage 2 times and then the motor will turn over and start.

But I can't make this happen consistently.......so the thing will just prime the pump?

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatorsalad View Post
    I can hear the pump prime but the starter won't engage. I see all four lights on the instrument panel light up.

I've been able to get the starter to engage 2 times and then the motor will turn over and start.

But I can't make this happen consistently.......so the thing will just prime the pump?

Please help!

Hmmm... Not sure what pump you are talking about. This year has no "pumps" that need primed, or that turn on when you put the key on.

Hopefully someone else can assist you. I'm fairly new to the sea doo world too. Just based on issues i've had since i got my XP, make sure the connection to your temprature sensor (Top of the engine, single wire plug in thing next to the aft sparkplug) is on tightly. Mine was loose and was causing my engine to not start cause it didn't see a sensor there. All i did was mush down the crimp connector a lil with a pair of pliars, then all was well.

Good luck!!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The bendix on your starter is hanging up and not engaging the flywheel. Pull the starter out and lube the shaft, hopefully you can salvage what you have.

Now as far as pump priming? Things that make you go hmm....

Hah! you replied just before I did XP lol. After reading your post I clued in haha. He's hearing the starter spin up and thinking it's a pump. You're right, the bendix isn't throwing out.
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 07-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.

I'm thinking its the fuel pump I'm hearing, but maybe I'm wrong. Have you ever hit your start button without the lanyard in? That's the noise I'm hearing. The starter is not engaging.

Tonight I plugged the lanyard in and got 2 beeps and the starter turned the motor over and the ski started right up. I pulled the lanyard out several times and I got 2 beeps every time and it fired up every time.

I wasn't getting the 2 beeps before after I plugged the lanyard in. I would just get one beep and the 4 instrument panel lights would come on when I hit the started before.

I have never heard any sounds when touching the start/stop button before on mine. I too get the display to light all up but that's it. There is no pump on these machines at all unless somehow someone has wired in a bilge pump to run off after the start/stop button has been depressed. It could be a very slight posibility your trim motor is actuating when you press the start button, take the seat off, remove the black snap-in air duct and touch the start button without the lanyard in. Try to determine if the trim motor is running when you do that...it's under the black cover that says VTS on it and looks oval somewhat above the battery and in the center-rear of the hull. Here's a list of beep codes from the manual. One beep like you described sounds to me that the lanyard may have just not been on properly before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96 xp mpem beep codes.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	82694  

Thanks-I believe it is the bilge pump now that you mention it, but I'll check in the am.

Thanks-I believe it is the bilge pump now that you mention it, but I'll check in the am.

NO PUMPS ON A 96XP!! lol

No bilge pump

no fuel pump

no pumps! lol

"No pump for you!!!" LOL

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The 98 and up skis have a bildge pump that cycles when you hit the start stop button. So if you have one, someone added it. And that's a good thing. If you are serious about wave jumping a bildge pump is a must.

It has an after market bilge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information