Draining oil from a MSX 140

Hi,

I have a MSX 140 that I recently picked up, and I am trying to get it tuned up before I hit the water.

There were some questions about the oil that had been previously used in this ski. So, as part of this maintenance process, I wanted to drain all of the old oil out and re-fill the tank with Penzoil premium fully synthetic oil.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? Should I be looking to suck the oil out, via a siphon or mighty vac? Or should I be trying to drain it into the hull and removing it bucket by bucket? Or do I just need to find a way to remove the oil tank entirely?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jtz; 07-12-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: cant spell

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtz View Post
    ...I want to drain all of the old oil out and re-fill the tank with Penzoil premium fully synthetic oil.

My question is, how do I go about doing this?
    Should I be looking to suck the oil out, via a siphon or mighty vac?
    Or should I be trying to drain it into the hull and removing it bucket by bucket?
    Or do I just need to find a way to remove the oil tank entirely?...
    Try to keep the oil out of the hull. It makes a oily mess, and it is really hard to clean it all out.

If you put a suitably shaped container down below the oil tank nipple, you should be able to drain the oil out neatly. Just clamp off or raise the oil line when the bottle gets nearly full, empty the oil into something else, and continue draining. There is about 6 quarts max in there.

Have lots of rags below, and more handy for wiping up.

Take the filler cap off to let it drain faster, but don't let any dirt fall into the tank.

How are you clearing the oil out of the oil pump? Or are you not going to worry about that?

+1
    Our local auto parts store here have those oil drain/transport bags, they work killer for allowing the oil to drain into it and then it's already packaged for disposal at your local shop or parts center.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

What I ended up doing was removing the flexible hose that connected the fill hose to the oil tank, and siphoning the oil out using a hand pump. I then tipped the entire PWC and trailer forward to prevent oil flow while replacing the oil filter. This produced very little mess, and worked well enough for what I was looking to do. I then replaced the hose, filled the tank with the proper oil, and was good to go!

Thanks!

Sawtooth763
    Download the service manual, it will tell you how.

I have a MSX110 that I use a seperate pump you buy at Bass Pro to suck out the oil form the oil cooler.

Then disconnect the coil wires & fuel injector lines.

Remove the hose that feeds the oil cooler and place it into a container. Crank the engine for about 15 seconds at a time, about 3 to 4 times the engine will be empty.

Reconnect everything, change the filter, fill the oil and your back in business.

Thread Information