Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SHO and Kawasaki Fuel Consumption

On July 9th and 10th three of us made a round trip from Marblehead Ohio on the south shore of Lake Erie to the Detroit River and then up the river to Lake St. Clair. It was 79miles each way. We stopped for fuel at the Humbug Marina at the mouth of the Detroit River going up and coming back.

The three boats were a 2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250X, 2008 SHO, and a 2 stroke 2003 Polaris Genisis. The attached chart shows the MPG for each boat and each leg. The Kawasaki used $187.18USD in fuel, the SHO used $152.44 and the Polaris $113.78.

Of particular interest is that the I used the cruise control on the SHO for the return lake crossing and it made a big improvement in fuel consumption over the other boats even though we ran together all the way back.

I would like to see more posts on fuel useage and strategies to save fuel on longer trips.

PS The stock SHO reached 68.2MPH on a glassy part of the Detroit River with 1/2 tank of fuel and a lot of gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ErieDetriotTrip1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	82613  
    Last edited by mikevv; 07-13-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: misspelling

+1
    Good post.
    I have never monitored fuel consumption on the 2 smokes and since they are modified, I am really scared to. My riding style has not changed, I just have to ride less often.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    i dont have the numbers but its a big difference when i use the cruise control on my SHO......prevents the large throttle blips that zing the rpm's and cause the ski to use much more fuel......depends on riding conditions and such.....its a n

i dont have the numbers but its a big difference when i use the cruise control on my SHO......prevents the large throttle blips that zing the rpm's and cause the ski to use much more fuel......depends on riding conditions and such.....its a nice way to conserve fuel w/o being in learner mode....then...when u want....mash the throttle and seaaaa yaaaaaa

Good post. And the cruise control on the SHO is probably great for cruising... acceleration from bad throttle control constantly puts the engine under load and uses more fuel than just cruising in a particular speed range...

Then again, I guess that WOT is a 'constant speed'

Quote Originally Posted by cincygpr View Post
    Good post. And the cruise control on the SHO is probably great for cruising... acceleration from bad throttle control constantly puts the engine under load and uses more fuel than just cruising in a particular speed range...

Then again, I guess that WOT is a 'constant speed'
    u saying i have bad throttle control?!?!?!?

ur right .....WOT is bad throttle control.....

+1
    Unfortunately, you can't always use cruise control. On our lakes it wouldn't last long in the cruise mode. If you were cruising down a Ohio river then I could see the benefit on the long haul.

I use cruise control all the time. Its a 7-8 mile trip for us to get to the other side of lake St. Clair.... Man I love my SHO!

Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    I use cruise control all the time. Its a 7-8 mile trip for us to get to the other side of lake St. Clair.... Man I love my SHO!
    Where do you ride around St Clair? We come from Marblehead and sometimes play in Lake St. Clair. As I recall it's about 20miles across.

Quote Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
    Where do you ride around St Clair? We come from Marblehead and sometimes play in Lake St. Clair. As I recall it's about 20miles across.
    I use cruise pretty often to. I launch down at the mouth of the Detroit River and Lake Erie and either ride up to St Clair and fool around, on the riiver, or head down the coast a ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information