Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Parting out 96 SLTX

Hey guys,

I haven't been skiing in months and finally had some time to take a look at the SLTX. I had done the hull repair and still needed to put the tank back in.

The motor is factory strong. I gps'd the ski at 54.2 mph last time I had it out and new was supposedly 55 mph. That's with my 250lb girth and a rough hull from a repair that I have since redone. 160 hours on the motor.

I'm thinking I need shed one ski and unfortunately the Polaris is would be the one. If you're looking for parts, let me know and I'll see if it's time to take this one apart.
    Last edited by 1996SLTX; 07-12-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    Hey guys,

I haven't been skiing in months...
    What happened?

We've been missing you around here

+1

My Anytime BS Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What happened?

We've been missing you around here
    Well, I've been preoccupied with the slashing and burning of the airlines. I spend a lot of time on a message board for our pilots and the amount of info and changes has been unprecedented. I've been with my airline for 18+ years and I've never seen a downturn this severe and with no end in sight. Other downturns happened during recessions, but you could figure the economy would recover.

This one is driven by oil and no one seems to know exactly the cause of the high prices so no one can really predict when prices will normalize relative to supply and demand that exists today. On top of that, the US has been so short-sighted as we have all the energy we need in the form of oil, coal, and natural gas to power us for hundreds of years and we don't do it.

So I've been distracted by that and at the same time lost momentum with the skis and time just seems to fly by. We went on a cruise and then my wife had a surgery (a happy surgery - yeah baby!!) and I've been trying to fly a lot of overtime to pad the checking account since things are very uncertain. A happy surgery and flying overtime in uncertain times seems to be an oxymoron, but....well...I'll post an updated pic on the show off your wife thread....

But in the back of my mind, I've been wanting to get back on the water so finally yesterday, I got the SLTX put back together, then the damn thing wouldn't crank again and I was pretty fed up with it even though mechanically, it's a great machine. I changed the starter again and it's fine, but I'm wondering why I'm going through starters so quick. I got one more spare, but changing the starter is a beotch. This time I only installed the lower bolt. The top bolt is insane. It should be ok like that since the starter is not highly torqued.

The Seadoo's have a couple issues like the GTX needing the carbs to be fine tuned and I don't have the patience or time to really master that right now and I think the XP needs a stator since the battery isn't charging, but I have to check something else first.

Oh yeah, a couple months ago, I busted arse to finish a bath remodel that had been dragging on and on. Other mechanical issues have come up around the like a mildew smell that turned out to be in a carpet and an a/c issue that I'm working on.

So being that this is my anytime BS thread (lol), I'm beat. I'm thinking I can't handle three skis, but the Polaris was my first and my kids and I hate to let it go so it will probably stay.

What I need to do is get back on the water so that my ski depression goes away!

+1
    Two fingers of Scotch and a Cohiba will do wonders.

+1
    Crap! I don't like scotch but I got some Cohibas baby!! Smokin' aint so bad for the health is it?

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Two fingers of Scotch and a Cohiba will do wonders.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    ...What I need to do is get back on the water so that my ski depression goes away!
    Any Green Hulk folks in your area?

Find someone and get out there!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Any Green Hulk folks in your area?

Find someone and get out there!
    I'm going skiing tomorrow...I'll smoke the Cohiba tonight...

+1
    Tried to get over my ski depression....got everything together, hitched up, then gassed up, but couldn't get her running AND the weather was crap today. But I got home and cleaned the spark plugs, squirted some WD40 in each cylinder, turned off the fuel, WOT and got her running (obviously turning the fuel back on). I probably flooded it before.

Next attempt is Wednesday morning. Beer's advice was great, but then again, I'm not suffering whatsoever in that department!!

dont you have an update cdi/stator on that rig ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    dont you have an update cdi/stator on that rig ?
    Yep, changed it a year ago myself. I think a screw up I did was before I went to the gas station, I put the oil in the gas tank, then pumped the gas. Usually, I would be driving and the gas would mix on the way, but since I wasn't able to run the ski at home (no gas, dry gas tank) I wanted to run it at the gas station before I got too far. Maybe I was oil rich when the first gas went into the line and wouldn't fire. Or maybe I simply flooded it.

But it's running normally now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information