Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trim adjustment??

Why is there no power trim on ultra 250x?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redzr2s10 View Post
    Why is there no power trim on ultra 250x?
    hopefully they will add it in '09........
    pump wedges r permanent and they hurt handling........

It will also add to the price.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    hopefully they will add it in '09........
    pump wedges r permanent and they hurt handling........
    And how would you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    And how would you know this?
    by permanent i mean its a bolt-on modification that cant be changed on the fly....
    as to whether it hurts handling or not..........here is a quote from pwcoffshore website:

"Pump Wedge: Consider a 1 degree pump wedge which will likely take a little more of your bow out of the water resulting in higher top end speeds, however count on a less stable ride. Test it and determine what works best for your setup. Many offshore endurance riders think hard about installing a pump wedge as it tends to result in a slight loss of stability. 8/1/2007, we upgraded one of our ULTRA250's with a 2 degree pump wedge. We are seeing speed gains - this rider is 200 punds. 1 degree recommended for lighter riders."

This is from Riva website: Pump Wedges substantially improve the top-speed of your craft 1~2mph. The precision-machined 2-degree wedge trims up your pump nozzle raising the bow of your craft for less drag. RIVA Pump Wedge features a unique double-sided lip to retain silicone sealant and prevent cavitation. Constructed of aircraft grade anodized aluminum.
    NOTE: We do not recommend installing our Pump Wedge without installing an aftermarket intake grate such as our Top-Loader Intake Grates (RXP part# RS22050 / GTX part# RS22055). Our Performance Development Team has found that installing the Pump Wedge without an aftermarket intake grate causes the craft to handle unpredictably.

so...when ur carving the buoys.....u want that hull down in the water as its ur hull and sponsons that r 'digging' into the water to help u stabilize ski as u take corner at high speed........then trim up on the straightaway to lift ur hull out of the water so u can maximize ur straight-line speed until u reach the corner again ...which u want to be trimmed down again.....this is the way the R&D Auto-Trim nozzle kits work....they do this automatically

Questions?
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 07-12-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have put over 100 hours on an Ultra 250 with a 2* wedge and have NEVER felt an unpredictability out of it...........But I guess if its in print on the Internet it must be true.................

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

if you guys want trim adjustment,

just ask a AUSSIE to build it, we can do black magic over hear

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    I have put over 100 hours on an Ultra 250 with a 2* wedge and have NEVER felt an unpredictability out of it...........But I guess if its in print on the Internet it must be true.................
    hmmmmmm.......guess ur ski denies the laws of physics and hydrodynamics and can take high-speed turns better with LESS hull in the water......cool.......must be the flux capacitor u have installed

wish we could all be so lucky.......

it all comes down to ur riding style and riding conditions......if ur not pushing the limits of ur ski in variable riding conditions, ur not gonna experience it.
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 07-12-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    by permanent i mean its a bolt-on modification that cant be changed on the fly....
    as to whether it hurts handling or not..........here is a quote from pwcoffshore website:

"Pump Wedge: Consider a 1 degree pump wedge which will likely take a little more of your bow out of the water resulting in higher top end speeds, however count on a less stable ride. Test it and determine what works best for your setup. Many offshore endurance riders think hard about installing a pump wedge as it tends to result in a slight loss of stability. 8/1/2007, we upgraded one of our ULTRA250's with a 2 degree pump wedge. We are seeing speed gains - this rider is 200 punds. 1 degree recommended for lighter riders."

This is from Riva website: Pump Wedges substantially improve the top-speed of your craft 1~2mph. The precision-machined 2-degree wedge trims up your pump nozzle raising the bow of your craft for less drag. RIVA Pump Wedge features a unique double-sided lip to retain silicone sealant and prevent cavitation. Constructed of aircraft grade anodized aluminum.
    NOTE: We do not recommend installing our Pump Wedge without installing an aftermarket intake grate such as our Top-Loader Intake Grates (RXP part# RS22050 / GTX part# RS22055). Our Performance Development Team has found that installing the Pump Wedge without an aftermarket intake grate causes the craft to handle unpredictably.

so...when ur carving the buoys.....u want that hull down in the water as its ur hull and sponsons that r 'digging' into the water to help u stabilize ski as u take corner at high speed........then trim up on the straightaway to lift ur hull out of the water so u can maximize ur straight-line speed until u reach the corner again ...which u want to be trimmed down again.....this is the way the R&D Auto-Trim nozzle kits work....they do this automatically

Questions?
    You qoute in red refers to the SD models not the Kawi.

The Kawi is no exception to the laws of physics or Hydrodinamics but the Stock Ultra does benefit by using the wedge.

Ya see the LX model of the Ultra has the wedge, in the 250 they pulled it out causing the nose to plow. So badly does it plow, that in hard turns the nose would actual sub. By using the wedge on stock boats the nose would not sub making for dryer and better turning.

I dont object to your input but I must say that 250 does benefit from the wedge though in other crafts your quote is sooo true. I will say also that the wedges take away the offshore advantage that the 250 has.

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    You qoute in red refers to the SD models not the Kawi.

The Kawi is no exception to the laws of physics or Hydrodinamics but the Stock Ultra does benefit by using the wedge.

Ya see the LX model of the Ultra has the wedge, in the 250 they pulled it out causing the nose to plow. So badly does it plow, that in hard turns the nose would actual sub. By using the wedge on stock boats the nose would not sub making for dryer and better turning.

I dont object to your input but I must say that 250 does benefit from the wedge though in other crafts your quote is sooo true. I will say also that the wedges take away the offshore advantage that the 250 has.
    skip.....anychance u would buy a SHO so we yammi owners can benefit from ur dedication, intuition, and intelligent homework/posts?
    I love hearing posts about the characteristics/hydrodynamics of the different skis.....i had heard that the Ultra 'plowed' and that was why it was such a good offshore hull.....but i didnt realize that it would 'sub' during high-speed cornering..........hmmmmmm
    so if u were building a CC Ultra......use a 1-degree wedge and offshore a 2-degree wedge?
    Makes me wonder why Kawi took the wedge off.......just from a safety standpoint.....'sub-bing' at high speeds = human shot-put.....wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information