Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lost rpm instantly

Well, I think my washers went yesterday. 05 RXT stock. Ski was working grat, had a bud on the back and we buzzed it up to 70 on speedo let off coasted down and took off again and no acceleration. 6200 rpm. Also lost the "wine" of the charger too. Still has warranty til 2009. Hopefully they will put the metal washers in. I pulled the dip stick and didn't see any debris in the oil. When it went I graciouslt drove it back to the launch at about 25 mph and loaded it up.

I assume the washers are what went but is there any other possibilities? What about a hose come loose or popped off and ski just isn't making any boost?

Pull the air intake offa the sc....try to spin the blades....if they spin....you're screwed.

as in whole motor? I have warranty still. Yes it spins freely.
    Last edited by Kragar; 07-13-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Yes if it spins freely it is a bad sc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragar View Post
    as in whole motor? I have warranty still. Yes it spins freely.
    Leave motor off...try to spin the sc blades with your finger...if they move/spin freely the washers are gone....do not keep running that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Leave motor off...try to spin the sc blades with your finger...if they move/spin freely the washers are gone....do not keep running that motor.
    havent run it. Its going to dealer for warranty.

Its an 05, so will they update this to a newer washer kit or do they perform a whole SC kit?

Important- Bearings

You need to also visually inspect the front of that SC shaft. As we all know, the washers are prone to failure. The other part that fails in the SC is the front bearing.

On the front of the SC Shaft there is a gear. The shaft rides in the bearing. The gear on ths shaft is the drive gear that meshes with the Flywheel inside you magneto cover. If the bearing fails chunks of extremely hard chrome bearing drop into the mag cover, along with very fine, very hard metal particles. These big chucnks can clog your oil pump pick-up causing no oil flow= catostrphic engine failure.

The chunks may or may not clog the oil pump screen- and catastrphic failure is then delayed because of the following :

MORE important in the case of SC bearing failure:
    Fine metal paticles from the SC bearing debris ALWAYS make it past the oil pickup screen and circulate around in the engine oil. This is like having hard metal sand in you engine oil, and the egine blows up some hours later.

Some dealers will only want to rebuild your SC in the bearing failure scenario- YOU MUST INSIST that they rebuild the whole bottom end of the engine if the bearing parts and particles dropped into the Magneto cover. The down side to this is the time you will be w/o your boat.

Another check, w/o pulling the SC and visually inspecting the front shaft bearing --is to pull the Oil filter out and "disect" it. If you see ANY shiny particles in the filter material- you have metal flake in your engine oil and the whole crank, rod, mag, and all bottom end bearings need to be replaced and the engine completely disassembled, totally cleaned, and rebuilt.

Good luck with it, but if you do not do these steps your self- INSIST that the dealer show you the front SC shaft bearing and verify it is good and in tact.
    Good Luck. Hope it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by OffShore2 View Post
    You need to also visually inspect the front of that SC shaft. As we all know, the washers are prone to failure. The other part that fails in the SC is the front bearing.

On the front of the SC Shaft there is a gear. The shaft rides in the bearing. The gear on ths shaft is the drive gear that meshes with the Flywheel inside you magneto cover. If the bearing fails chunks of extremely hard chrome bearing drop into the mag cover, along with very fine, very hard metal particles. These big chucnks can clog your oil pump pick-up causing no oil flow= catostrphic engine failure.

The chunks may or may not clog the oil pump screen- and catastrphic failure is then delayed because of the following :

MORE important in the case of SC bearing failure:
    Fine metal paticles from the SC bearing debris ALWAYS make it past the oil pickup screen and circulate around in the engine oil. This is like having hard metal sand in you engine oil, and the egine blows up some hours later.

Some dealers will only want to rebuild your SC in the bearing failure scenario- YOU MUST INSIST that they rebuild the whole bottom end of the engine if the bearing parts and particles dropped into the Magneto cover. The down side to this is the time you will be w/o your boat.

Another check, w/o pulling the SC and visually inspecting the front shaft bearing --is to pull the Oil filter out and "disect" it. If you see ANY shiny particles in the filter material- you have metal flake in your engine oil and the whole crank, rod, mag, and all bottom end bearings need to be replaced and the engine completely disassembled, totally cleaned, and rebuilt.

Good luck with it, but if you do not do these steps your self- INSIST that the dealer show you the front SC shaft bearing and verify it is good and in tact.
    Good Luck. Hope it is OK.
    thanks I will make sure they check it all. The dealr is a friend of mine as well so I hope they treat me right.

Got my ski back. The ceramic washer cracked in half and was still sitting inplace. Dealer fixed under warranty abd replaced a bunch of other stuff as well while the charger was off. It got a complete rebuild and he said he checked further in the screens and it all looked good as the washer didn't explode and only cracked. Saif it appeared it was slipping for a while. Now that I look back, I know when it started to slip. I thought the warmer air and water temp was reducing RRPM by 200 but it was the charger not making full boost.
    Good news is that BRP is now out of the old washers and rebuild kits come with the new titanium washers.
    Still have ext warranty til june/09 so will keep til then and sell for new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information