Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

combining threads.....SLX 1200 build with pics

I already have 4 or 5 question threads, so before I make any more, I figured I would just make everything into one thread from here on out. I bought the ski about 2 months ago, used it 5 times, and the bottom rod bearing went, put alot of shavings and metal through the back cylinder, and ended up cracking my crank case. I have most of the parts accounted for at this point, just gotta wait for them to arrive so i can start building.

Here are some pics.

+1
    Damn nice ski and well worth the effort. Thanks for the pictures, I'm looking forward to hearing it fire for the first time.

So here is my first question. From what I understand, the 1200's have different crankcases between years. So, Is this the gasket kit I need for my 00 SLX?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
    ...From what I understand, the 1200's have different crankcases between years...
    They do?

Other than the MSX 140 1192cc engine, do the 1165cc motors differ from year to year?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    They do?

Other than the MSX 140 1192cc engine, do the 1165cc motors differ from year to year?
    I asked a guy on ebay about the gaskets, and he said I need to know if I have the earlier or older model crankcase or something like that, perhaps he just meant I need to know whether I have fuel injection or something?

does he mean is it the earlier blue engine or the more recent red one

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    The 1200 motor used in the MSX line was different than the 1200 motor used in prior years. It had slightly more cc and some differences in the crankcase and cylinders (the newer cylinders could be used to advantage on the older cases as they were triple exhaust port cylinders whereas the older 1200's were not but the older 1200 cases required some clearancing to work).....

All the 1200 motors are the red motors (Fujis are blue)....I don't know the part number difference off the top of my head but what you want to know is you're looking for the 1200 motor components that did not come in the MSX. However if you want to take the opportunity to put a motor with more potential in there you can go with a MSX motor and get one of the head kits from Jay at Atlantic or Randy at Watcon (if they have any)...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc7897 View Post
    The 1200 motor used in the MSX line was different than the 1200 motor used in prior years. It had slightly more cc and some differences in the crankcase and cylinders (the newer cylinders could be used to advantage on the older cases as they were triple exhaust port cylinders whereas the older 1200's were not but the older 1200 cases required some clearancing to work).....

All the 1200 motors are the red motors (Fujis are blue)....I don't know the part number difference off the top of my head but what you want to know is you're looking for the 1200 motor components that did not come in the MSX. However if you want to take the opportunity to put a motor with more potential in there you can go with a MSX motor and get one of the head kits from Jay at Atlantic or Randy at Watcon (if they have any)...

My cylinders were still ok, so im not ready to do a change like that. So would those be the correct gaskets?

Ok, im starting the rebuild. I CANNOT get the coupler off the crank. ANy ideas? I tried hitting it with a pipe wrench and a sledge...no luck. I then tried useing a 7ft pipe on it, and still no luck.

ANyone got a technique / trick I can try?

+1
    It may be me but I don't think that's a Polaris gasket set.

I don't ever remember seeing the circled gaskets and even the base gaskets don't look right but I can't see them clearly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gasket.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	85956  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information