Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Got my first water violation today!!!

Well, my first violation was not in the form of speeding either. Of all the luck, I always let my 9 year old daughter ride in the front. She never touches the throttle, just holds on to the bars. We were idling out of the no wake zone and I just took my hands off the bars for less than 2 seconds so she would think she was driving. Like I said, she was no where near the throttle. A few minutes later the geek squad sites me for allowing a 9 year old to operate my ski. Give me a f'ing break.....Then they try to compare what I did to letting her sit in the drivers seat of a car. Well, in a car, a split second can roll a vehicle or swerve into oncoming traffic or have a head on collision. In a no wake zone with absolutely no traffic within 50 feet and idling 1850 RPM's does not compare. Like they say, I guess I'll tell it to the judge and let him decide. I also asked about a warning and the faggots response was "If your daughter had been at least 12, I would have let you off" Hmmm, so I can break the law with a 9 year old but not a 12. By the way, the age of watercraft operators are 16....I'll admit, I was wrong, but sheeze it is not like I was putting anyones life in danger in a no wake zone going 1800 RPM's. I think a warning would have sufficed.

That sucks. It seems like they're never around when they should be, but when they are around watch out. They have a constant case of PMS.

A friend and I got stopped last year and they gave him a warning for having registration numbers that weren't block letter format.

This year over July 4 weekend they weren't around probably because they didn't want to piss people off at the state park by giving them tickets & cause them to reconsider comming back to the lake again. Especially with the econonmy here in Michigan and with gas prices as high as they are people aren't vacationing up north for a weekend as much as they used to. Sure enough as everyone left after that weekend the cops were back out patrolling and there were probably less than a dozen boats on the lake.

The water morons at our lake this weekend were out in force 125 miles of shore and ONE patrol boat. What was he doing? sitting in one cove pulling people over for doing stupid things in ONE little area just off the public launches. If he was really worried about public safety he would have been patrolling the lake looking for morons, not trying to fill a quota.
    Last edited by Lurker; 07-17-2006 at 04:59 AM.

damn i let my sister drive me every once in a while

Red, it might be worth checking into the reqs more closely. She didn't have the lanyard attachd to her and if her hands weren't on the grips, she wasn't in control of the vessel. Some states allow younger riders to actually control the ski as long as an adult is on the ski and has the lanyard attached to them. Good luck and I agree they were getting way to picky on this one.

+1
    Mjammer is right....contest it....those guys all have a "quota" they're suppossed to meet....they get ticket happy sometimes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil
    Well, my first violation was not in the form of speeding either. Of all the luck, I always let my 9 year old daughter ride in the front. She never touches the throttle, just holds on to the bars. We were idling out of the no wake zone and I just took my hands off the bars for less than 2 seconds so she would think she was driving. Like I said, she was no where near the throttle. A few minutes later the geek squad sites me for allowing a 9 year old to operate my ski. Give me a f'ing break.....Then they try to compare what I did to letting her sit in the drivers seat of a car. Well, in a car, a split second can roll a vehicle or swerve into oncoming traffic or have a head on collision. In a no wake zone with absolutely no traffic within 50 feet and idling 1850 RPM's does not compare. Like they say, I guess I'll tell it to the judge and let him decide. I also asked about a warning and the faggots response was "If your daughter had been at least 12, I would have let you off" Hmmm, so I can break the law with a 9 year old but not a 12. By the way, the age of watercraft operators are 16....I'll admit, I was wrong, but sheeze it is not like I was putting anyones life in danger in a no wake zone going 1800 RPM's. I think a warning would have sufficed.
    Jay,

In Virginia, the person who is wearing the lanyard is the driver... regardlass of where they are sitting or what they are holding! I know this for a fact because several weeks ago my friend was sitting on the back seat while his wife was sitting in the front seat driving too fast through a 5mph zone. He got the ticket because he was wearing the lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Jay,

In Virginia, the person who is wearing the lanyard is the driver... regardlass of where they are sitting or what they are holding! I know this for a fact because several weeks ago my friend was sitting on the back seat while his wife was sitting in the front seat driving too fast through a 5mph zone. He got the ticket because he was wearing the lanyard.
    Exactly my point Phil, the putz claims my 9 year was operating the craft. Of course the lanyard was attached to my vest!!!! You guys are giving me that much more ammo now for when I see the judge...

+1
    I had the exact opposite police officer this weekend.

I set up a little bouy course infront of the house (in the lake) and my son who is 10 rides my little 1990 Kawasaki TS around the course. The ski goes about 35 mph so he gets a good blast out of it and he is a good rider. The course teaches him all of the skis dynamics.

Anyway, Im stood in the water, timing my sons laps and a police officer in a zodiac comes over to me. He watches my son do his laps then comes over to me. I figured Im doomed here because the law is 16 to operate a pwc.
    The cops asks where were from, I point, "right there" and he asks if I have a boaters license which I do.
    All the time he is very polite. My son then idles over to where we are and he talks to my son about the ski and how he watched him on it. He even commented how good the ski looked (it looks new even though it 16 years old)
    He then says "He handles the ski very well, your supervising him in a good way, you guys have a good day." I was shocked, but then what he said made sence. "I'm out here not to bust your chops, I'm looking for the dangerous operators, ones going to fast near shore or swimmers and too close to boats and general reckless operation"
    He then shook my hand and said have fun.
    Wen the just talked in general as he watched the other skiers. Would you know it, a dork blasts from the shore, just misses some swimmers. Cops says " Later, there goes what I'm talking about"

So, that made my day, cop was way cool (totally not the norm)

TN law

Those less than 12 years of age may not legally operate any motorized vessel over 8.5 horsepower (including personal watercraft) unless:
    • He or she is accompanied on board by an adult who is able to take immediate control of the vessel or...
    • He or she is at least 10 years of age and possesses the Boating Safety Education Certificate issued by TWRA and the vessel being operated is over

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information