Thread: 96 GSX Issues

96 GSX Issues

Okay so I have an issue....my 96 GSX is loading up on fuel when you let it idle. To get the ski to plane out I turn the fuel off untill it leans out and then immediatley turn it back on. It is really annoying however to have to do this. I have rebuilt both carbs and installed new fuel lines and I also replace the floates. Is it my reeds?? I dont want to just throw parts at it so any help would be greatly apprecaited

Banned User
    What settings did you use for the low speed adjusters? Too many turns out will result in too rich condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pre64 View Post
    Okay so I have an issue....my 96 GSX is loading up on fuel when you let it idle. To get the ski to plane out I turn the fuel off untill it leans out and then immediatley turn it back on. It is really annoying however to have to do this. I have rebuilt both carbs and installed new fuel lines and I also replace the floates. Is it my reeds?? I dont want to just throw parts at it so any help would be greatly apprecaited

Welcome to the forum

It sounds like you need some carb adjustments. Is this engine stock? Or Modified?

also, your Rotax motor does not have reed. It has a Rotary Valve. Other two strokes have reeds

Also, you mentioned you replaced the carb floats....?.....can you explain in more detail?

more info

I call them floats but I guess they are not floats just the rubber seals...mine were real dry and cracked where the ski sat for awhile before i purchased it. They helped the problem but didnt fix it. So after some more reading what are the chances of the rotary valves being "out of time" I dont really understand how they work however i have every symptom. Please explain...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pre64 View Post
    I call them floats but I guess they are not floats just the rubber seals...mine were real dry and cracked where the ski sat for awhile before i purchased it. They helped the problem but didnt fix it. So after some more reading what are the chances of the rotary valves being "out of time" I dont really understand how they work however i have every symptom. Please explain...
    Rubber seals ???

Sounds like you need to replace the needle/seats.

I have been letting a local shop do some of the work since I travel alot for work...I just went back and looked at the reciept and it was the needle seats that were replaced...I apologize for my poor terminology

Thread Information