Parts conspiracy. MSX 140 Pistons

I see there has been a lot of discussion here about MSX 140 pistons but has anyone come across this before.
    I need to do a top end overhaul on my engine so stared shopping around for parts and found what I thought was a good deal on piston, rings, needle rollers etc. The dealer had a direct link to the Polaris parts breakdown which had all the parts that I required with their part numbers and quantity needed per engine. (see Attached)
    So I ordered: One piston kit, one ring Kit, Three needle rollers, three orings, etc. When the parts arrived to my horror there was only one piston not three, one set of rings not three. Why is this when the parts fiche clearly states that you only need one kit so there should be three pistons. Did the engine only have one piston when it came out of the factory and if you wanted more power you brought more pistons (LOL) does the dealer put the other two on the shelf (maybe that why they are so expensive) or am I just dumb and have read this all wrong.
    > Cheers John>
    Last edited by suparoo; 07-13-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Parts list from polaris
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    You have it read wrong.
    If you have one cylinder go down, do you want all three piston assemblies?? No...you want one kit, hence a kit would be one cylinder.
    The kit I get from Jay or Randy has always been 1 piston and bushing with 2 rings and cir clips at the tune of roughly 100-125. US dollars.

FYI, SPI (sport parts inc.) makes decent direct replacement pistons for the MSX. They are only $50 ea. and are have been extremely durable in my experience. They are marketed as 800VES snowmobile pistons, but are exactly the same thing. Polaris pistons are ridiculously priced. Two years ago, they were only $90 ea., which is fair. If I ever end up with an 85mm bore, they will be what I use.

I thought I was onto a good thing with the ones (one) I bought but youre right. I paid $300.00 nz dollars ($225.51 USD) for what turned out to one piston and that is the recomended retail price here in NZ thats why I was suspecious that the other two are sitting on his shelf.
    Last edited by suparoo; 07-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.

when i was doing car engines, a kit was all 8
    but now doing jetski, i too once thought that too, but 1 kit(piston,rings and pin) is per cylinder. but should be all and at least include the s/e bearing. what you need is a top end kit.
    hey did he Rape you on the shipping also

Thread Information